|Real Name||Kisan Baburao Hazare|
|Profession||Indian social activist|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height||in centimeters- 163 cm
in meters- 1.63 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 4”
|Weight||in Kilograms- 58 kg
in Pounds- 128 lbs
|Date of Birth||15 June 1937|
|Age (as in 2017)||80 Years|
|Birth Place||Bhingar, Bombay Province, British India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Gemini|
|Hometown||Ralegan Siddhi, Maharashtra|
|Educational Qualifications||Upto 7th Grade|
|Family||Father– Baburao Hazare
Mother– Laxmibai Hazare
Brothers– Maruti Hazare & 3 more
|Address||Village Ralegan Siddhi, Parner,
Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, India
|Hobbies||Doing Yoga, Reading|
|Controversies||• He has been criticized for being an agent of RSS (a right-wing Hindu body).
• He has been criticized for acting as proxy for political parties.
• In an Inquiry Commission by the Maharashtra Government, his trust- Hind Swaraj Trust was found to spend 220000 INR on his birthday celebrations.
• He has also been accused of being anti-democratic and anti-dalit by Ramchandra Guha in an article written in Kolkata Telegraph.
• He has also been accused of being anti-Muslim by Arundhati Roy.
|Favourite Leader(s)||Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, Swami Vivekananda|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
Some Lesser Known Facts about Anna Hazare
- Does Anna Hazare Smoke?: No
- Does Anna Hazare Drink Alcohol?: No
- He was born in Bhingar near Ahmednagar district of Maharashtra and was the eldest son of Laxmi Bai and Baburao Hazare.
- His father, Baburao Hazare, was an unskilled labourer in an Ayurveda Ashram Pharmacy.
- He was born as Kisan Baburao Hazare and later he adopted the name Anna, which means father or elder brother in Marathi.
- His family was very poor and a relative tried to help him in his education, however, he couldn’t continue his studies after the 7th grade.
- He started selling flowers to make his ends meet at the Dadar Railway Station in Mumbai and also owned 2 flower shops in the city.
- During the Indo-Pak war of 1965, he survived a bomb-attack in which all his colleagues were martyred.
- At times, he used to be frustrated and even contemplated suicide, however, an inspiration came at the New Delhi railway station, where he came across a book of Swami Vivekananda- he was inspired by the photograph on the cover of the book. The book inspired him to pursue his life for the betterment of the mankind.
- After his 15 year service in the Indian Army, he opted for voluntary retirement and returned to his hometown- Ralegan Siddhi.
- With his vigilantism and activism, he transformed his village- Ralegan Siddhi from a poor and drought-ridden village into a model village.
- He also abandoned the liquor dens in his village by launching a movement against them with the help of youths and local villagers.
- He made a local temple in his village as the focal point of his activism and in 1980, he started a Grain-Bank at the temple providing food security to the poor farmers during the times of drought.
- In 1990, he was honored with Padma Shri by the Government of India.
- In 1991, he launched a movement to fight against corruption- Bhrashtachar Virodhi Jan Andolan (BVJA) in Ralegan Siddhi.