Some Lesser Known Facts About Ban Ki-moon
- Does Ban Ki-moon smoke?: No
- Does Ban Ki-moon drink Alcohol?: No
- Ban Ki-moon took birth on 13th June 1944 in countryside of South Korea, in Haengchi village.
- When Ban was born, at that time Korea was under Japanese Rule.
- Ban grew up in the town of Chungju. when Ban was a kid, his father ran a warehouse business. But that warehouse business came into bankruptcy and the family lost its middle-class standard of living.
- When Ban was only 6 years old, Korean War broke out and his family moved to remote mountainside of the country. After ending of the War, his family returned to Chungju. Ban said once that during this time, he met American soldiers.
- Ban was extra-ordinary student in English language. Ban won an essay contest sponsored by the Red Cross and got a trip to the United States where he lived in San Francisco with a host family for several months. As part of the trip, Ban met U.S. President John F. Kennedy.
- Ban has more concerns about Global Warning, he met George W. Bush then President of USA and urged him to crucial steps to prevent the emission of Greenhouse gases. Ban stated, “For my generation, coming of age at the height of the Cold War, fear of nuclear winter seemed the leading existential threat on the horizon. But the danger posed by war to all humanity—and to our planet—is at least matched by climate change”.
- In March 2007, Ban went to the trip of Middle East, a mortar hit the ground just 80 meters (260 ft) from where the Secretary-General was standing. intervening a press conference in Baghdad’s Green Zone, and visibly shaking Ban and others. No one was hurt in the incident.