Some Lesser Known Facts About Ben Affleck
- Does Ben Affleck smoke?: Yes
- Does Ben Affleck drink Alcohol?: Yes
- Ben’s surname “Affleck” is of Scottish origin. Affleck has Scottish, English, Irish, German, and Swiss ancestry.
- During Ben’s childhood, his Father Timothy worked variously as an auto mechanic, a carpenter, a bookie, an electrician, a bartender and a janitor at Harvard University. While Affleck has described his father as a “very smart guy”, his chronic alcoholism often made Affleck’s childhood difficult and his parents divorced when he was twelve.
- Affleck had high SAT scores, he was an unfocused high school student with poor attendance. He took admission in the University of Virginia but instead followed a girlfriend to the University of Vermont, where he took Spanish classes.
- For the first time he came into sight in movies in 1981 at the age of seven in a local independent film called Dark Side of the Street directed by a family friend.
- His huge success as a child actor was as the star of the PBS children’s series The Voyage of the Mimi (1984) and The Second Voyage of the Mimi (1988), produced for sixth-grade science classes.
- Affleck gained popularity when he and his childhood friend Matt Damon won the Golden Globe and Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay for Good Will Hunting (1997).
- Armageddon set Affleck as a viable leading man for Hollywood studio blockbusters in 1998.