Some Lesser Known Facts About Floyd Mayweather
- Does Floyd Mayweather smoke?: Not Known
- Does Floyd Mayweather drink Alcohol?: Not Known
- Mayweather took birth in Grand Rapids, Michigan, on February 24, 1977. His family was full of Boxers, his father Floyd Mayweather Sr. also was boxer. His uncles Jeff Mayweather and Roger Mayweather were professional boxers; Roger was the former trainer of Floyd, winning two world championships, fought Hall of Famers Julio César Chávez, Pernell Whitaker and Kostya Tszyu.
- His birth name is Floyd Joy Sinclair. He is said to be an avid watch collector with timepieces reportedly worth upwards of $6 million.
- Boxing has been part of his life since his childhood, he told once, “I think my grandmother saw my potential first,” he further said, “When I was young, I told her ‘I think I should get a job.’ She said, ‘No, just keep boxing”. “When I was about eight or nine, I lived in New Jersey with my mother and we were seven deep in one bedroom and sometimes we didn’t have electricity.” Mayweather said. “When people see what I have now, they have no idea of where I came from and how I didn’t have anything growing up.”
- The most time his father remained with him used to take him to the gym to train and work on his boxing, according to Mayweather. “I don’t remember him ever taking me anywhere or doing anything that a father would do with a son, going to the park or to the movies or to get ice cream,” he says. “I always thought that he liked his daughter (Floyd’s older sister) better than he liked me because she never got whippings and I got whippings all the time.”
- He was nicknamed “Pretty Boy” when he won the Golden Gloves in 1993.
- He was the National Golden Gloves champion in 1993, 1994 and 1996.
- In 2007, he did fight with Oscar De La Hoya and generated $136 million revenue from 2.48 million pay-per-view buys.