|Real Name||Mastan Haider Mirza|
|Nickname||Haji Mastan, Bawa|
|Profession||Gangster, Filmmaker, Politician|
|Party||Dalit Muslim Surakhsha Maha Sangh|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 180 cm
in meters- 1.80 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 11”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 70 kg
in Pounds- 154 lbs
|Date of Birth||1 March 1926|
|Birth Place||Panaikulam, Ramanathapuram District (Madras Presidency now Tamil Nadu), British India|
|Date of Death||9 May 1994|
|Place of Death||Bombay, (now Mumbai) Maharashtra, India|
|Death Cause||Cardiac Arrest|
|Age (as on 9 May 1994)||68 Years|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Pisces|
|Hometown||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|School||Did Not Attend|
|College||Did Not Attend|
|Family||Father– Haider Mirza
Mother– Not Known
Brother– Not Known
Sister– Not Known
|Address||Baitul Surur, Peddar Road, South Mumbai
|Controversies||• He was believed to control much of Mumbai’s smugglings during 1960-1975.
• He was also believed to manipulate the politicians and bureaucrats for his smuggling consignments.
|Favourite Actors||Dilip Kumar, Dharmendra|
|Favourite Car||Mercedes Benz|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Sona (Film Actress)|
|Wife/Spouse||1. Shahjehan Begum
2. Sona (film actress)
|Children||Son– Sundar Shaekhar (adopted)
Daughter– Shamshad Supariwala
|Net Worth||Not Known|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Haji Mastan
- Did Haji Mastan smoke:? Yes
- Did Haji Mastan drink alcohol:? Not Known
- He was born in a village named Pannaikulam near Ramanathapuram in the coastal town of Cuddalore, Tamil Nadu.
- He spent his childhood in poverty.
- In 1934, at the age of 8, he migrated to Bombay (now Mumbai) along with his father, Haider Mirza.
- To make ends meet, he started working at a small cycle repairing shop along with his father at Charni Road. However, it wasn’t enough for his family’s subsistence.
- While working at the cycle repairing shop, Mastan admired the sprawling bungalows and luxury cars belonging to the famous and rich. Mastan aspired to have a bungalow and cars like them someday.
- Even after working for more than 8 years at the cycle repairing shop, Mastan couldn’t get enough revenue to fulfill his desire.
- While in his early twenties, Mastan met Galib Sheikh (an Arab Gentleman) who found Mastan a suitable person for helping him to smuggle gold biscuits out of the docks. Mastan started making a neat sum of money by helping Galib Sheikh in his smuggling business.
- Later he joined hands with Sukkur Narayan Bakhia (a smuggler from Daman) who used to smuggle precious goods into Daman and Mumbai from the Gulf countries.
- Soon, he made a good fortune that helped him fulfilling his childhood dream to own a sea-facing bungalow in Mumbai. He bought a bungalow at Peddar Road; however, he spent most of his life in a small room built on the terrace of his bungalow.
- Realizing that the film producers had to struggle to finance their films, Mastan jumped into film financing and eventually turned to become a filmmaker himself.
- He also developed an interest in electronic goods and real estate business. He owned some electronic shops in Manish Market on Mohammad Ali Road.
- Haji Mastan is considered Mumbai’s first ‘Don” and has been given the status of a “Celebrity Gangster.”
- When Mastan realized that the inter-gang rivalry was at its peak in Mumbai, he called a meeting of Mumbai’s all top gang leaders at his residence and crafted a plan to split Mumbai between the gangs so that each gang could operate in their respective domains without any rivalry between them.
- Interestingly, Mastan did not operate a gang of his own. His name was enough to carry out his smuggling operations. Karim Lala and Varadarajan Mudaliar were among his best friends who helped him run his smuggling business.
- Being a film financier and film distributor, Mastan developed a close rapport with many Bollywood personalities such as Raj Kapoor, Dilip Kumar, Dharmendra, Sanjeev Kumar, etc.
- Throughout his life, he never went to Jail except during the Indian Emergency (1975-1977). While in prison, he came close to Jaiprakash Narayan and got influenced by his ideologies. In prison, he started learning Hindi.
- After coming out of the Jail, he visited Haj, and thereafter he came to be referred as “Haji Mastan.”