Age: 30 Years
Marital Status: Unmarried
Hometown: Maloor, Kerala
|Profession(s)||Scriptwriter, Film Director, Filmmaker|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 165 cm
in meters– 1.65 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 5”
|Debut||Short Film (Independent): Photogenic (2012)
Feature Film (Malayalam): Padavettu (2022)
|Awards||• Young Artist Award 2011-12 from the Ministry of Culture, New Delhi
• Mahindra Excellence in Theatre Award (2014) for the play ‘Moment Just Before Death’ in the category of Best Stage Design
• A memento from Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Akademi/International Theatre Festival of Kerala (ITFOK) in 2015 for the play ‘Moment Just Before Death’
• A memento from Government of Kerala — Department of Information – Public Relations at National Theatre Festival (2015) for the play ‘Moment Just Before Death’
|Date of Birth||23 February 1992 (Sunday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||30 Years|
|Hometown||Maloor, Kannur, Kerala|
|School||Mambaram Higher Secondary School, Mambaram, Kerala|
|College/University||• School of Drama & Fine Arts, University of Calicut, Thrissur, Kerala
• Image College of Arts, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
|Educational Qualification(s) Saga Entertainment||• Bachelor of Theatre Arts (specialization in Acting) from School of Drama & Fine Arts, University of Calicut
• Master of Theatre Arts from School of Drama & Fine Arts, University of Calicut
• Diploma in Design & Digital Film Making from Image College of Arts, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
|Controversy||On 6 March 2022, Liju Krishna was arrested from a film location in Kannur after being charged under IPC Section 376 (rape). Allegedly, Liju had sexually abused a crew member of his directorial debut film, ‘Padavettu,’ on numerous occasions over the period of six months, between December 2020 and June 2021. The complaint was filed at the Infopark police station in Kakkanad, Kerala. Two days after the arrest, the police informed that Liju Krishna had confessed to the crime during preliminary interrogation. Outlook India|
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||The rape victim’s testimony featured on the Facebook page of Women in Cinema Collective (WCC) alleged that Liju Krishna was in a romantic relationship with her. Women Against Sexual Harassment|
|Parents||Father– V Balakrishnan
Mother– PV Radhamani
|Filmmaker||K. G. George, Satyajit Ray|
|Folk Singer||C. J. Kuttappan|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Liju Krishna
- Liju Krishna is an Indian filmmaker, scriptwriter, and film director, who is known for his works in the Malayalam entertainment industry. He is also the founder and artistic director of Saga Entertainment.
- Liju Krishna moved from Kannur to Chennai to pursue higher studies. After receiving training at a film institute in Chennai, he moved back to Kerala to pursue post-graduation in theatre arts.
- While attending the School of Drama & Fine Arts in 2013, he founded Saga Entertainment, a Thrissur-based cultural group, formed by young theatre students with the aim of producing and promoting cutting-edge work in theatre and films in Kerala.
- His debut short film, Photogenic, garnered him numerous awards at National Short Film and Documentary Festival (2013).
- In 2014, he directed the Malayalam play ‘Moment Just Before Death,’ which was produced by Saga Entertainment and Malayalam actor Sunny Wayne’s production house. Liju was also the stage designer and scriptwriter of the play. First staged at JT Pac in Tripunithura, Kochi, the play narrates the tale of an old man who recollects the best moments of his life as death approaches him. The recollection of the man’s memories exhibited Northern Kerala’s traditions and lifestyle in a contemporary light.
- ‘Moment Just Before Death’ was hardly staged across Kerala because of the lack of intimate theatrical spaces, which made it challenging to present the play convincingly. In spite of the complications, the 75-minute-long play made it to numerous prestigious festivals like the Indie Best Film Festival (Ibestff) and the 8th Theatre Olympics in 2018. Immensely appreciated, the play was nominated in six categories and won two awards, in the category of Best Actor and Best Designer, at the Mahindra Excellence in Theatre Awards 2014 (META).
- In an interview, he revealed that the play reflected the Malabar culture and childhood stories he grew up listening to.
- Liju Krishna is the writer and director of the 2017 indie Malayalam short film ‘Ima.’ A production of Saga Entertainment, the film featured the veteran actor Pratap Pothen. The short film showcased a loving and caring relationship of a middle-aged couple.
- Liju Krishna’s directorial debut in the Malayalam film industry, Padavettu, was helmed by Sunny Wayne Productions and featured popular Malayalam actor Nivin Pauly. The political drama film depicts the oppressed section of society in Kerela.
- The director chose his native place, Maloor, as the prime location for the shoot of the film. Additionally, he cast thousands of locals in the film in integral and minuscule roles after giving them six months of acting training. Some of these junior artists even used their own clothes as costumes for the film.
- In 2022, while the film was still underproduction, Liju was arrested for the alleged rape of a crew member of Padavettu.
- A post on Women Against Sexual Harassment’s Facebook page stated that the rape victim got pregnant in January 2021 but suffered a miscarriage due to recurring sexual abuse. Women Against Sexual Harassment
- In the aftermath of the accusation against Liju, the WCC demanded the director’s ban from the film industry until the verdict. Two days after his arrest, the Kerala Film Directors’ Union (Fefka) cancelled his membership.
- Unlike other film directors who do not prefer to venture into theatrical art, Liju Krishna gives equal importance to both fields. In an interview, he said,
Cinema and theatre have two languages, and when you understand both you grow stronger in your creative capacities.”