|Full name||Mansukhbhai Laxmanbhai Mandaviya BJP Gujarat|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 170 cm
in meters– 1.70 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 7”
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
|Political Journey||• He joined the Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM) in 1996.
• He then became the leader of BJYM.
• He was appointed as the President of Palitana Taluka BJP in 1998.
• He won the Gujarat Legislative Assembly election from Palitana in 2002 and became the youngest MLA in Gujarat. He served the position till 2007.
|Date of Birth||1 June 1972 (Thursday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||49 Years|
|Birthplace||Hanol village, Palitana taluka, Bhavnagar district, Gujarat|
|Hometown||Hanol village, Palitana taluka, Bhavnagar district, Gujarat|
|School||• Government Primary School, Hanol, Gujarat
• Shree Gurukul Vividhlaxi Highschool, Songadh, Gujarat
|College/University||• Sardarkrushinagar Dantiwada Agricultural University, Palanpur, Gujarat
• Maharaja Krishnakumarsinhji Bhavnagar University (formerly Bhavnagar University)
|Educational Qualification(s)||• A Certificate course in Veterinary and Livestock Inspector
• Studied Veterinary Science at Sardarkrushinagar Dantiwada Agricultural University, Palanpur, Gujarat
• MA in Political Science at Maharaja Krishnakumarsinhji Bhavnagar University (formerly Bhavnagar University) Mansukh Mandaviya
|Caste||Leva Patel (Leuva Patidar), a sub-caste community of the Patildars in India India Today|
|Address||Permanent: 44, Sardarnagar, Vadia Road, Palitana, Distt. Bhavnagar, Gujarat- 364270
Current: 202, Swarna Jayanti Sadan Deluxe, Dr. B.D. Marg, New Delhi
|Controversies||• In 2019, Mansukh became the centre of controversy when he belittled Priyanka Gandhi, saying one’s power is not ensured by having a nose. In a political rally, he said, The New Indian Express
“It is being talked about in the Congress that she (Priyanka) has the nose like her grandmother (Indira). If you get power by having a nose like your grandmother, then won’t there be a president in every household in China?”
• In July 2021, old tweets of Mansukh (written in English) began resurfacing on the internet after he became the Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare India and Chemical and Fertilizers. Many began mocking him for not knowing English being a Union Minister. Later, netizens and opposition leaders came in his support and said that one should be judged on the basis of his/her work, not language. India Today
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||25 January 1995|
|Children||Son– Pavan (entrepreneur)
Daughter– Disha (MBBS student; worked at a COVID hospital in Vadodara, Gujarat, during the COVID-19 pandemic)
|Parents||Father– Laxmanbhai Jivabhai Mandaviya (farmer)
|Siblings||He has three elder brothers.|
|Political Leader(s)||Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Narendra Modi|
|Political Activist(s)||Mahatma Gandhi, Vallabhbhai Patel|
|Assets/Properties Mansukh Mandaviya – My Neta||Movable (as of 2018): Rs. 41.93 lakh (approx.)
Immovable (as of 2018): Rs. 2.41 crore (approx.), including agricultural and non-agricultural land worth Rs. 52 lakh and residential buildings (one in Gandhinagar and three in Bhavnagar) worth Rs.1.87 crore
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 2.83 crore (as of 2018) Mansukh Mandaviya – My Neta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Mansukh Mandaviya
- Mansukh Mandaviya is an Indian politician and a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). He is the incumbent Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare and Chemical and Fertilizers (India).
- Mansukh was born in a middle-class farmer family in Hanol village, Palitana taluka, Bhavnagar district, Gujarat.
- While he was pursuing post-graduation, he joined Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), the student wing of BJP. Soon after he joined ABVP, he was made the State Executive Member of Akhil Bharatiya Vidhyarthi Parishad, Gujarat.
- In 2004, as an MLA from Palitana, he organised a padayatra (of 123 km in 49 villages of his constituency) in support of the ‘Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao’ campaign by the Government of India. The padayatra was titled,
Kanya Kelavani Jyot Padyatra”
- In 2006, in support of the ‘Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao’ campaign again, he organized another padayatra of 27 Km in 52 villages of his constituency, which was titled,
Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao, Vyasan Hatao”
- As the Chairman of Gujarat Agro Industries Corporation Limited, Mansukh oversaw an e-radiation treatment plant at Bavla, the first government facility there. He also administered the construction of the Poha (flattened rice) plant in Navsari, a modern banana packhouse in Achhalia (Bharuch), and a bio-fertilizer plant in Gondal.
- After becoming a Rajya Sabha member in 2012, Mansukh Mandaviya raised many significant issues of Gujarat in the Parliament.
- As the Gujarat State In-Charge for the BJP Mega Membership Drive, Madaviya led a massive membership drive in Gujarat, adding one crore people with BJP.
- In his first term as a Rajya Sabha member, the Government of India gave assurances to 86 out of 448 parliamentary questions raised by him. He also served in the standing committees of various fields like Petroleum and Natural Gas, Chemical & Fertilizer Industries, Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Textiles, and Select Committee for Real Estate Bill-2015.
- As a Minister of State, Mandaviya travelled to 14 countries and almost all the Indian states and Union territories for 540 days, covering more than 4.9 lakh km of distance. Madaviya managed 394 meetings and attended 332 programs/seminars/workshops/events.
- As a Minister of State, he also urged the execution of Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan Aushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJAP), which saw a rapid increase in PMBJAP kendras from 347 to more than 5200.
- Mansukh has been part of delegations to sign MOUs (Memorandum of Understanding) and develop bilateral relations with other nations with the President of India two times and the Vice President of India one time.
- As a part of his work, he has travelled to Asian countries like China, Israel, Oman, Nepal, Dubai, and Uzbekistan. He has also visited countries like England, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Algeria, Hungary, Equatorial Guinea, Swaziland, Zambia, New Zealand, Tonga, Fiji, and Australia.
- Mansukh Madaviya often spends his time bicycling, reading, and travelling.
- In 2015, he was given an opportunity to represent India at the United Nations, where he spoke about the ‘2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.’
- He is an advocate of environment-friendly practices and often goes to Parliament on the bicycle. In 2016, he hit the headlines after he arrived at the Parliament for his swearing-in ceremony to Narendra Modi‘s Council of Ministers, along with Arjun Ram Meghwal (Indian politician and Member of the Lok Sabha). In 2019, he was in the headlines again for riding the bicycle to the Parliament for his swearing-in ceremony to the Council of Ministers. While talking about cycling in an interview, he said,
It’s not a fashion to cycle. It is my passion. It is eco-friendly, it saves fuel and keeps you physically healthy”
- After BJP won the 2017 Gujarat Legislative Assembly election, out of all the names for the Chief Ministerial post of Gujarat, Mandaviya’s name was constantly surfacing on the news. According to a BJP source,
He is a simple man. He uses a cycle to reach Rajya Sabha. His family members still use the state transport buses to commute in Gujarat. He is well accepted in both RSS and BJP circles. Moreover, his loyalty is clearly to Modi, which makes him a frontrunner.”
- In 2019, as a part of Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary, Mansukh undertook a 50 km-long padayatra, which was inaugurated by tree plantations. In his speech before the padayatra, Mansukh talked about the relationship between Gandhian thoughts and nature. On the occasion, he also flagged off the 22,000 km and 3-month long bike journey of three youngsters from Surat.
- In 2019, the United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) honoured Mansukh for his efforts towards women’s menstrual hygiene by employing Jan Aushadhi Kendras to sell 10 crore sanitary pads, which were produced from oxo-biodegradable technology, at a nominal price.
- Mansukh is known to always have a favour of Narendra Modi as Modi has often addressed his name in his speeches.