|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 165 cm
in meters– 1.65 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 5”
|Debut||Film: XIIa (2017, as Milena)
TV: Tipichno (2015, as Maria)
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Won Best Actress Award at Alternative Film Festival (2018) for the film Transgression
• Won Best Supporting Actress Award at Boston Online Film Critics Association Awards(2020)
• Won Best Supporting Actress Award at Chicago Film Critics Association Awards (2020)
• Won Best Supporting Actress Award at Florida Film Critics Circle Awards (2020)
• Won Best Supporting Actress Award at Indiana Film Journalists Association Awards (2020)
• Won Breakout of the Year Award (2020) at Indiana Film Journalists Association Awards (2020)
• Won Best Supporting Actress Award at New York Film Critics Circle (2020)
|Date of Birth||4 June 1996 (Tuesday)|
|Age (as of 2020)||24 Years|
|College/University||• National School of Arts, Burgas, Bulgaria
• Krastyo Sarafov National Academy for Theatre and Film Arts, Sofia
|Educational Qualification||Bakalova majored in acting at the National School of Arts in Burgas. Later, she pursued a course in film and drama at the Krastyo Sarafov National Academy for Theatre and Film Arts, Sofia Glamour|
|Tattoo(s)||• A tattoo inked on her hip
• A tattoo inked on her left arm
• Two tattoos on each of her ankle
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father– Name Not Known
Mother– Rumiana Bakalova
|Actress||Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman, Natalie Portman|
|OTT/Web Series||Dark (2017), Money Heist (2017), Unorthodox (2020)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Maria Bakalova
- Maria Bakalova is a Bulgarian actress who is well known for appearing in the films Transgression (2018), Last Call (2020), and The Father (2020). She struck international stardom after playing the role of Tutar Sagdiyev in the American mockumentary film Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (2020).
- Since childhood, Maria was passionate about performing arts. In an interview, she said,
I started singing at the age of 5 or 6 and then I started flute lessons. But at some point, I wanted to explore more. I wanted to escape from reality. Because in acting, you can become anybody. You can do everything. You can live on Mars.
- In an interview, while sharing her childhood memories, she said,
I was a super-disciplined child. I was reading too many books. I was obsessed with Dostoyevsky, at like 15, 16.
- In 2017, Maria Bakalova made her film debut with the Bulgarian movie XIIa in which she played the role of Milena. Thereafter, she came into the limelight with the Bulgarian film Transgression (2018) in which she played the role of Yana, a teenager who is in a relationship with an older man. Maria won the accolade of Best Actress (2018) at Toronto’s Alternative Film Festival for her role in the film Transgression (2018).
- Later, she appeared in various Bulgarian short-films, like Kalinka (2018), Due to Unforeseen Circumstances (2019), Dream Girl (2019), etc. Thereafter, in 2020, she played another prominent role of her career in the film Last Call in which appeared as Alexandra, a girl who must be saved from committing suicide through the power of love.
- Later, in 2020, she starred in the American mockumentary film Borat Subsequent Moviefilm as Tutar Sagdiyev a fifteen-year-old teenager who travels to America with her father, Borat, to help him on his quest to bring a gift to vice president Mike Pence. The role of Tutar Sagdiyev earned Maria Bakalova various allocades in the category of Breakout Star of the Year and Best Supporting Actress.
- Reportedly, in November 2020, Bakalova signed up with the Creative Artists Agency, a Los Angeles-based talent agent.