Some Lesser Known Facts About Maria Sharapova
- Does Maria Sharapova smoke: No
- Does Maria Sharapova drink alcohol: Yes
- Sharapova’s parents fled their home in Gomel, Belarus following the 1986 Chernobyl disaster. Sharapova has thus donated heavily to Chernobyl related projects.
- When Maria and her father moved to the US, they couldn’t speak English and had only $700 in pocket. Since Maria was too young to enroll in a Tennis academy, her father worked odd jobs and coached Maria himself on public Tennis courts.
- Maria signed her first deal with Nike at the age of 11.
- At the age of 15, she became the youngest player ever to reach the finals of the Australian Open junior tournament in 2002.
- Maria Sharapova is the most searched athlete on Yahoo in the years 2005 and 2008.
- Sharapova became the UN Goodwill Ambassador in the year 2007.