|Political Journey||• In 1967, he was elected Member of Legislative Assembly of Uttar Pradesh.
• In 1977, he became a State Minister for the 1st time.
• He became President of Lok Dal in 1980.
• He held the post of Leader of Opposition in the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Council from 1982 to 1985.
• In 1989, he became the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh for the 1st time.
• In 1990, he joined Chandra Shekhar’s party Janata Dal (Socialist).
• In 1992, he founded Samajwadi Party (Socialist).
• In 1993, he became Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh for the 2nd time.
• In 1996, he was elected to the 11th Lok Sabha from Mainpuri.
• In 1999, he became India’s Defence Minister in the United Front Coalition Government.
• In 1998, he was elected again to the Lok Sabha.
• He contested from two seats- Sambhal & Kannauj in the 1999 Lok Sabha Elections and won both the seats.
• In September 2003, he became Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh for the 3rd time.
• In 2004, he won Gunnaur assembly seat in a by-election with a victory margin of 183,899, which is a record so far.
• In 2004, he won Lok Sabha election from Mainpuri.
• In 2014, he contested 16th Lok Sabha from 2 seats- Azamgarh & Mainpuri and won both the seats.
• In the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections, he defeated BJP’s Prem Singh Shakya by a margin of over 94,000 votes from Mainpuri.
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 161 cm
in meters- 1.61 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 3”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 75 kg
in Pounds- 165 lbs
|Date of Birth||22 November 1939|
|Age (as in 2019)||80 Years|
|Birthplace||Saifai, Etawah district, Uttar Pradesh|
|Hometown||Etawah, Uttar Pradesh|
|College/University||• K.K. College, Etawah, Uttar Pradesh
• A.K. College, Shikohabad, Uttar Pradesh
• B.R. College, Agra University, Agra, Uttar Pradesh
|Educational Qualification(s)||• A Bachelors degree from Agra University in 1964
• M.A. (Political Science) from Agra University in 1968
|Debut||In 1967, when he was elected Member of Legislative Assembly of Uttar Pradesh.|
|Family||Father– Late Sughar Singh
Mother– Murti Devi
Brother– Shiv Pal Singh Yadav
Ram Gopal Yadav
Abhay Ram Singh Yadav, Rajpal Singh Yadav, Ratan Singh Yadav
Sister– Kamla Devi Yadav
|Caste||Other Backward Caste (OBC)|
26001, Uttar Pradesh
|Hobbies||Wrestling, Reading, Listening to Music, Watching Folk-Dances|
|Blood Group||B-positive India Today|
|Controversies||• Following the 2012 Delhi Gang Rape incident, he delivered a controversial statement in which he said- “Boys will be boys. Boys commit mistakes”.
• In another rape case, he again delivered a controversial statement to which UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon responded- “We say no to the dismissive, destructive attitude of, ‘Boys will be boys.”
• In 2014, he was criticized for organizing a festive program following riots in Muzaffarnagar district of Uttar Pradesh.
• In 2015, Judicial Magistrate of Kulpahar court in Uttar Pradesh summonsed him for his remark in which he said that gang-rapes are impractical.
|Favourite Politician||Ram Manohar Lohia|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife||First Wife– Malti Devi (married ?-2003)
Second Wife Sadhana Gupta
|Children||Sons– Akhilesh Yadav (Politician)
Prateek Yadav (Businessman)
|Car||• Bank Deposits: Rs. 40.13 Lakh
• Agricultural Land: Worth Rs. 7.89 Crore
• Non-Agricultural Land: Worth Rs. 1.44 Crore
• Residential Buildings: Worth Rs. 6.83 Crore
|Salary (as a Lok Sabha Member)||Rs. 1 Lakh + Other Allowances|
|Assets/Properties||Nil (as per his affidavit submitted during the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections)|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 20.56 Crore (as in 2019)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Does Mulayam Singh Yadav smoke?: Not Known
- Does Mulayam Singh Yadav drink alcohol?: Not Known
- He was born in Saifai Village of Etawah district in Uttar Pradesh.
- Before coming into politics, he worked as a teacher.
- Mulayam Singh is a trained wrestler.
- He has several degrees- a B.A. Degree, B.T. and M.A. Degree in Political Science.
- He was influenced and inspired by the socialist ideology and thoughts of Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia.
- He joined politics after coming into close contacts with Karpoori Thakur, Sarvashri Madhu Limaye, Raj Narayan, Ram Sewak Yadav, and Janeshwar Mishra.
- He has been jailed 9 times so far.