|Korean Name(s)||• Lee Seung-ri ET News
• Lee Geu-roo (Geu-loo or Geu-ru) Mnet -YouTube
|Full name||Nancy Jewel McDonie ET News|
|Nickname(s)||• Jo Nancy
• Aenaen ET News
|Profession||Singer, Actress, & TV Host|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Daum – Nancy Height||in centimeters– 162 cm
in meters– 1.62 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 3.65”
|Eye Color||Brown; being a Kpop idol, she uses lenses of various colors|
|Hair Color||Black; as a Kpop idol, Nancy changes her hair color frequently|
|Debut||TV (Reality): Hangul Train Chipo (2010)
EP (as a member of Momoland): Welcome to Momoland (2016)
Acting: Some Light (2017) as ‘Nancy’
Host: Pops in Seoul (March 2017-June 2018)
Album (Japan; as a member of Momoland): Chiri Chiri (2019)
Acting (Philippines): The Soulmate Project (2021) as ‘Binna’ (lead)
|Awards (As a Member of Momoland)||Prominent Awards
• Gaon Chart Music Awards – World K-Pop Rookie in 2018
• Genie Music Awards for The Performing Artist – Female for the song ‘Boom Boom’ in 2018
• Melon Music Awards – 1theK Performance Award in 2018
• Mnet Asian Music Awards (MAMA) – Discovery of the Year in 2018
• Golden Disc Awards – Digital Bonsang for the song ‘Boom Boom’ in 2019
• Japan Gold Disc Award for Best 3 New Artist (Asia) in 2019
• Korean Culture Entertainment Awards – K-Pop Artist Award in 2017
• Korea Brand Awards – Idol of the Year in 2018
• Korea Cable TV Awards – Artist of the Year in 2018
• Korea Popular Music Awards – Bonsang Award in 2018
• MTN Broadcast Advertising Festival – Rookie Star Award in 2018
|Date of Birth||April 13, 2000 (Thurday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||21 Years|
|Birthplace||Nam-gu, Daegu, South Korea|
|Nationality||South Korean, American|
|Hometown||Columbus, Ohio, US|
|School||• Wolbae Elementary School, Daegu
• Hyoja Elementary School, Pohang
• Hanlim Multi Art School, Seoul, South Korea (2018)
|College/University||Sungshin Women’s University, Seoul|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor in Media and Visual Acting MNC AsiaE|
|Religion||Christianity ET News|
|Ethnicity||South Korean and Irish Metro.Style|
|Blood Group||O Daum – Nancy|
|Food Habit||Non-Vegetarian The Korea Times|
|Hobbies||Doing makeup and nail art, playing Nintendo games, travelling, shopping, watch American dramas, singing Disney songs, doing diamond painting|
|Controversies||• In January 2021, Nancy’s pictures were taken illegally, manipulated, and spread on social media platforms. The pictures went viral, which harmed Nancy’s reputation, bringing Nancy mental and social damage. Soon, Nancy’s agency issued a statement, saying, ABS-CBN
“Nancy is a victim of having photos being inappropriately taken and manipulated. The person that should be protected first and foremost is Nancy. We ask for your cooperation with a heavy heart. We will follow through with our legal actions with no leniency and without reaching a settlement. Nancy is currently undergoing severe emotional turmoil. We sincerely ask of you: We long for an end to malicious posts that harass our artist. We want to express our gratitude to fans who always love and support our artists. We will continue to do our best in ensuring our artists’ personal and given rights.”
• During the 2020 COVID lockdown in South Korea, the shooting of Nancy’s upcoming Filipino series was delayed, which upset her. When Nancy was talking about it in an interview, she said,
• In 2018, Momoland faced Sajaegi (chart manipulation) accusations after their album ‘Great!’ sales reached over 8000 copies on the first day of its release. People suspected Momoland after there was an unexpected increase in their sales. Later, the accusations were cleared after the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, South Korea, announced that there was no case of Sajaegi. Koreaboo
• In 2018, Blinks (fans of the girl group Blackpink) criticized Nancy for having a blank stare at Blackpink members during their winning speech for their song ‘DDU-DU DDU-DU’ at MBC’s Show Champion. Blinks and netizens called her out for being ill-mannered. M News
• In November 2018, during the MGA (MBC Plus X Genie Music Awards) ceremony, Momoland passed by South Korean Boyband BTS without bowing (an action for showing respect to seniors) to them, which is considered disrespectful in South Korea as BTS was senior to Momoland. The group’s members were also seen laughing during BTS Jimin’a part during their (BTS)’Fake Love’ performance. After the incident, Armys flooded Momoland’s social media accounts with hate comments and condemned them for being disrespectful towards their idol. Koreaboo
• Nancy once made fun of bulimia (a serious eating disorder), which did not go well with netizens as they condemned her for being insensitive towards people suffering from bulimia. Later, Nancy issued a statement that she once suffered from bulimia, and she makes fun of the disorder as a form of coping mechanism. PEP
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father– Richard Lee McDonie (American; retired lieutenant colonel in the US Army)
Mother– Lee Myung-joo (South Korean)
|Siblings||Sister– Brenda Jowel McDonie (Cellist; elder)
|Food||Food with Cheese, Mint Chocolate, Malatang, Hot pot, Sushi, Tteokbokki|
|Singer||Sowon (of GFriend)|
|Travel Destination(s)||Paris, Boracay|
|Color(s)||Burgundy, Pink, Black|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Nancy
- Nancy is a South Korean-American singer, actress, and TV host. She is widely known for being the Maknae (youngest member) of the popular South Korean girl group Momoland.
- Nancy’s parents met during her father’s military service in South Korea’s Daegu, where her mother served the unit at that time. Her parents married and moved out of South Korea after Nancy turned two.
- When Nancy was two years old, her family moved to Columbus, Ohio, US; in between, she stayed with her family in Dublin, Ireland, for a short time. After living almost six years in the United States, Nancy and her family returned to South Korea.
- As a child, Nancy appeared in a variety of South Korean reality shows such as Hello Counselor: Season 1 (2010), The Unlimited Show (2011-13), Mak Ee Rae Show: Just Do It Expedition (2012), and Olala School 2 (2014).
- Nancy wanted to be a Kpop idol as a child. Her mother, who saw her passion for Kpop, enrolled her in a dance class, where Nancy instituted a hip-hop group with three other girls. The group was named ‘Cutie Pies.’
- Together with Cutie Pies, Nancy participated in the South Korean reality show Korea’s Got Talent, where the girls progressed to the semi-finals.
- In 2016, Mnet, in collaboration with MLD Entertainment, launched ‘Finding Momoland,’ a reality survival show featuring ten MLD girl trainees competing to become a member of ‘Momoland.’ The show made a seven-member group, with Nancy being the second girl to finish the contest. Talking about her experience in the show, Nancy said,
It was tremendously trembling. It’s a regrettable part, but it’s an honor to be the 4th appearance after the members. Because I was working as a team called ‘Momoland’, I had a fright when I stood on the stage alone. I wanted to overcome the stage fright within this year.”
- In Finding Momoland, the final lineup (of Momoland) was tasked with gathering 3000 people for their concert, a mission that the girls failed to complete, resulting in a delay in their debut. Momoland members continued to train at MLD and gave performances at music festivals and school concerts, which helped them crowdfund their debut album. On November 10, 2016, Momoland debuted with their extended play ‘Welcome to Momoland with the lead single ‘Jjan! Koong! Kwang!’ The same day, Momoland performed ‘Welcome to Momoland + Jjan! Koong! Kwang!’ in their debut stage in the music television program M Countdown.
- In 2016, before Momoland’s debut, Nancy was featured in the South Korean singer MC Gree’s music video and comeback stage of ‘Dangerous.’
- Momoland became a nine-member group soon and released their first single album with the title track ‘Wonderful Love’ (2016).
- On November 19, 2016, MLD Entertainment announced that Nancy would join Inkigayo’s project girl group ‘Sunny Girls.’ Sunny Girls was a five-member group that featured GFriend’s Eunha, WJSN’s Cheng Xiao, Oh My Girl’s YooA, and Gugudan, other than Nancy. Sunny Girls’ official stage debut happened on SBS’s Inkigayo stage with their title track ‘Taxi’ on November 27, 2016. Sunny Girls also performed on the annual televised end-of-the-year music festival SBS Gayo Daejeon on December 26, 2016.
- In 2017, she sang the title song of “Some Light,’ Nancy’s debut Kdrama, with Ha Min-woo of the Kpop boyband ZE:A.
- In 2017, Nancy was seen in the acting reality show ‘Idol Acting Competition,’ where she competed with other Kpop idols to show her acting talent. The show aired on K Star, and Nancy was one of the finalists of the show.
- In June 2018, Momoland gained popularity after the release of their third mini-album ‘Great!.’ The EP featured the lead single ‘Bboom Bboom,’ which became a huge commercial success, charting at number two on the Gaon Digital Chart.
- In 2018, she appeared in the MBC Kdrama ‘Dae Jang Geum Is Watching’ in the cameo role of an idol trainee.
- In 2018, Momoland’s first reality show titled ‘Momoland’s Saipan Land’ was released on MBC Network. In the show, Momoland members are given the opportunity to travel to Saipan, where they can do whatever they want for 48 hours.
- Momoland has often involved itself in philanthropic activities, organizing charity concerns in South Korea. Once, they donated their ticket sales collections to children victims of car accidents in school zones. Momoland performed in a charity concert to help the victims of violence and abuse in April 2018.
- In February 2018, Momoland was selected to be the ambassador of the Korean Red Cross Blood Service.
- In October 2018, Momoland performed in their first Phillippines charity concert. The amount collected from the concert was given to the children of Barangay San Jose and Barangay Calawis in Antipolo City. Momoland also gave clothes and other necessities to the children after the concert was over.
- Some of the hit singles from Momoland’s debut Japanese full-length album ‘Chiri Chiri’ (2019) are Boom Boom, Baam, I’m So Hot, Freeze, and Wonderful Love (EDM). On Oricon Singles Chart, the album’s singles Boom Boom, Baam, and I’m So Hot charted at number four, number eight, and number eight, respectively.
- Momoland has other EPs to their name; some of their EPs are Freeze! (2017), Fun to the World (2018), Show Me (2019), and Starry Night (2020). Baam, I’m So Hot, and Starry Night are some of the popular lead singles from the EPs.
- Apart from EPs, Momoland released two more single albums Thumbs Up (2019) and Ready or Not (2020).
- Momoland is famous from South Korea to the Philippines, with their concerts in countries like Japan, the United States, Vietnam, Indonesia, United Arab Emirates, Singapore, and Mexico. The official name for Momoland’s fandom is Merry-Go-Rounds.
- Momoland participated in 2018, 2019, and 2020 edition of Idol Star Athletics Championships, an annual sports events that feature male and female Kpop idols competing in various sports competitions. In the 2018 edition of the event (which took place at Goyang Gymnasium in Goyang, South Korea on August 20 and 27, 2018), Momoland came second in the 4 × 100 m relay and won a silver medal. In the 2019 edition, Momoland failed to win in any competition. In the 2020 edition, Momoland came second in the Ssireum/Korean wrestling and received silver medals.
- Filipino Merry-Go-Rounds have often addressed Nancy and Filipina-American actress Liza Soberano as each other’s doppelgangers. In an April 2018 Facebook Live session with Ahin and Daisy (from Momoland), Nancy was awestruck after she searched the pictures of Liza at the request of her fans. Nancy even matched Liza’s likeness to Ariana Grande. In 2019, after Nancy and Liza finally met, they posed for a photograph, which was posted in Nancy’s Instagram account with the caption,
Nice meeting you Liza.”
- In 2020, she was one of the participants in the 143rd Generation of the singing reality show ‘King of Mask Singer.’
- In January 2020, Nancy was appointed as the brand ambassador of the popular skincare brand Some By Mi. Talking about Nancy, a Some By Mi representative stated,
We chose Nancy because of her healthy and pure image fit well with the direction that we pursue, of our clean, natural skincare products.”
- Nancy likes elephants and unicorns and often buys stuff toys, items, or figurines of elephants and unicorns.
- Nancy is multilingual and fluent in Korean and English. She can also talk a little in Japanese.
- If not a performer, Nancy would have turned cellist like her sister, who went to a music school as a child. Nancy followed her sister and began playing the instrument. However, Nancy, who had a strong will of becoming a Kpop idol and liked singing and dancing, stopped learning piano to learn singing and dancing. According to Nancy
If I didn’t, I would probably be doing the same thing.”