|Real Name||Mian Muhammad Nawaz Sharif|
|Nickname||KUGGO, the lion of Punjab|
|Party||Pakistan Muslim League (1985–1988)
Islami Jamhoori Ittehad (1988–1993)
Pakistan Muslim League-
|Political Journey||• Sharif started his political journey, when he got angry with the Nationalisation policies of former Prime Minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto; these policies destroyed his steel business.
• In 1976, Sharif joined the Pakistan Muslim League, a conservative front rooted in the Punjab province.
• In 1980, Ghulam Jilani Khan then governor of Punjab province, made him the Finance Minister of Punjab province.
• In 1985, General Ghulam Jilani Khan nominated Sharif as Chief Minister of the Punjab.
• In 1990, Sharif became the 12 Prime Minister of Pakistan for the first time.
• During the tenure of Benazir Bhutto over the period of 4 years from 1993 to 1997, Pakistan’s economy deteriorated, taking the advantage of this Sharif’s party PML-N got the landslide victory in the 1997 General Election and made Nawaz Sharif Prime Minister for the second term.
• In 2013 PML-N defeated PPP and PTI led by Ameen Faheem and Imran Khan respectively. On 7 June 2013, Nawaz Sharif was sworn in for the post of Prime Minister for the third time.
|Biggest Rival(s)||Benazir Bhutto until 2007,
Ameen Faheem and
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 8”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 82 kg
in Pounds- 181 lbs
|Date of Birth||25 December 1949|
|Age (as in 2017)||68 Years|
|Birth Place||Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Capricorn|
|School||Saint Anthony High School|
|College||Government College University, Lahore
University of the Punjab
|Educational Qualifications||Graduation in art,
degree in Business, degree in Law.
|Family||Father– Muhammad Sharif
Mother– Shamim Akhtar
Brother– Shehbaz Sharif
Nephew– Hamza Shahbaz Sharif
Niece– Khadija Shehbaz
|Address||Prime Minister’s Secretariat|
|Hobbies||Playing and watching Cricket and Eating|
|Controversies||• In 1999, many allegations of tax evasion was imposed on Nawaz Sharif that he evaded the tax to purchase a helicopter worth $1 billion but Sharif denied this allegation, the Lahore High Court agreed to acquit him of this charge conditional on whether he was able to present evidence that proved his ingenuousness. Sharif failed to give any substantial evidence. The Lahore High Court ordered Sharif to pay a fine of US$400,000 on grounds of tax evasion, and he was sentenced to 14 years of imprisonment.
• In 2014, Imran Khan, head of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, staged a protest and this protest was supported by rival factions of the Muslim League such as Pakistan Muslim League-Q (PLM-Q) and Awami Muslim League (AML), demanding the prime minister’s resignation for the government’s inadequate response in addressing and resolving allegations that the 2013 general election was rigged.
• On 20 April 2015, The Express Tribune claimed that Sharif administration led the International Monetary Fund (IMF) astray over the actual tax charged on the issuance of bonus shares.
• In September 2013, Nawaz Sharif called former Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh “Dehati Aurat”. This remark sparked a good deal of controversies on social media.
• On 13 April 2018, Pakistan’s Supreme Court banned him for life from holding any political office.
• On 6 July 2018, in a verdict on the Avenfield reference filed by the National Accountability Bureau, the Federal Judicial Complex of Pakistan sentenced Nawaz Sharif to 10 years (fined £8 million), and his daughter Maryam Nawaz and her husband Safdar Awan to 7 years (£2 million) and 1 year in prison, respectively.
|Favourite Leader||Muhammad Ali Jinnah|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife/Spouse||Kulsoom Nawaz Sharif
|Children||Sons– Hassan Nawaz Sharif and
Hussain Nawaz Sharif
Daughters– Maryam Nawaz and
Asma Nawaz Sharif
|Net Worth (approx.)||$1.5 Billion|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Nawaz Sharif
- Does Nawaz Sharif Smoke?: No
- Does Nawaz Sharif drink Alcohol?: No
- Nawaz Sharif was born in Lahore, Punjab. The Sharif families are Punjabis of Kashmiri origin His father, Muhammad Sharif, was a businessman who emigrated from Anantnag and settled down in the village of Jati Umra in Amritsar district, Punjab at the beginning of the twentieth century. His mother’s family came from Pulwama.
- After Independence in 1947, his Family went to Lahore from Amritsar. His father followed the teachings of the Ahl al-Hadith.