|Real Name||Om Rajesh Puri|
|Nickname||Sikandar of art movies|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 7”
|Weight||in Kilograms- 82 kg
in Pounds- 181 lbs
|Body Measurements||– Chest: 42 Inches
– Waist: 36 Inches
– Biceps: 13 Inches
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Date of Birth||18 October 1950|
|Date of Death||6 January 2017 in Andheri, Mumbai, India|
|Death Cause||Heart Attack (under mysterious circumstances)|
|Age (as in 2016)||66 Years|
|Birth Place||Patiala, Punjab, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Libra|
|Hometown||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|College||Film and Television Institute of India, Pune
National School of Drama, New Delhi
|Educational Qualifications||Graduate in Acting|
|Debut||Film Debut: Ghashiram Kotwal (1972, Marathi film)
Godhuli (1977, Bollywood)
City of Joy (1992, Hollywood)
TV Debut: The Jewel in the Crown (1984, English TV series)
|Family||Father– Rajesh Puri (Worked in the Indian Army and Indian Railways)
Mother– Not Known
Brother– Ved Puri
|Controversies||• His first wife Seema was tortured and victimized, but she didn’t go public even after she got divorced.
• His Ex-wife Nandita accused him of domestic abuse, saying he beat her with a stick.
• Once his then wife Nandita claimed that Om Puri had sex with his maid Shanti at the age of 14. She has also exposed Om’s relationship with a woman named Laxmi with whom Om was sexually and emotionally involved. Om got upset with his wife’s statement and said that “My wife has reduced a very important and sacred part of my life to cheap and lurid gossip. I had shared these dark secrets with my wife as all husbands do. If she chose to make them public at least she should’ve made sure to maintain a dignity about experiences that are a valuable part of my life. Has she forgotten that I have a standing in society and I’ve worked hard to achieve all that I have today? I won’t allow her to throw it all away for the sake of sensationalism.”
• In October 2016, during a live news show, he said, “Who had asked the soldiers to join the army? Who told them to pick the weapons?”, for which, he was highly criticized.
|Favourite Food||Brain curry|
|Favourite Actor||Alec Guinness, Amitabh Bachchan, Naseeruddin Shah, Pankaj Kapur, Kamal Haasan, Vikram|
|Favourite Actress||Shabana Azmi, Smita Patil, Nutan, Madhuri Dixit, Priyanka Chopra, Rani Mukerji, Kajol|
|Favourite Film||Hollywood: Fiddler on the Roof (1971)
Bollywood: Naikan, Pushpak (1987), Dev (2004)
|Girls, Affairs and More|
Nandita Puri (Journalist)
|Wife/Spouse||Seema Kapoor (Divorced, m.Not Known-div.1991)
Nandita Puri (Journalist, Separated, m.1993-s.2013)
|Salary||15-25 lakh/film (INR)|
|Net Worth||$20 million|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Om Puri
- Did Om Puri smoke?: Yes
- Did Om Puri drink alcohol?: Yes
- Puri initially wanted to join Indian Army as his father worked in Indian Army.
- During his college days, he used to a part-time job of a lab assistant, with a salary of rupees 125 (INR).
- During his college days, he developed an interest in theatre acting and later, started participating in theatre drama competitions. After watching his work in one of such competitions, Harpal Tiwana, a prominent Punjabi playwright, invited him to join his theatre group, with an offer of rupees 150 (INR).
- A supporter of his theatre group, Deputy Commissioner, Mr. Kapoor, provided him with a government job.
- He and Naseeruddin Shah became good friends during his acting training in National School of Drama (NSD), New Delhi.
- He was a vegetarian when he joined NSD, but turned non-vegetarian because of Naseeruddin Shah.
- Once Naseeruddin Shah’s former friends stabbed him with a knife at a restaurant, watching it, Om Puri jumped across their table, stopped the attacker to avoid further attacks, took Shah to the hospital in a police van, and saved his life.
- In 1975, he got the breakthrough with a child right promoting film, Chor Chor Chhup Ja (Robber Take Care), for which he was paid rupees 3000 (INR).
- His role as Lahanya Bhiku in the film Aakrosh (1980), was critically acclaimed and earned him a Filmfare Best Supporting Actor Award.
- He won the National Film Award for Arohan (1982) and Ardh Satya (1983).
- Amitabh Bachchan was the first choice for Ardh Satya, but he refused the offer, and luckily it went to Om Puri.