|Birth name||Saba Singh Grewal Homegrown|
|Full Name||Saba Sultana Azad|
|Profession(s)||Actress, Theatre Director, Musician, Restaurateur|
|Famous Role||“Preity Sen” in Bollywood film “Mujhse Fraaandship Karoge” (2011)
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 160 cm
in meters– 1.60 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 3”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 55 kg
in pounds– 121 lbs
|Figure Measurements (approx.)||34-25-32|
|Debut||Short Film: “Guroor”
Film: “Dil Kabaddi” (2008) as “Raga”
Music: “Madboy/Mink” (2012) with Imaad Shah
|Date of Birth||1 November 1990|
|Age (as of 2021)||31 Years|
|Controversies||• When Saba changed her name from Saba Singh Grewal to Saba Azad, she was heavily trolled on social media. On the issue of changing her name, she said, “I took a name of my own choosing “AZAD” (free) free of religious tags, free of a conditioned understanding of what or who I may be, free of the fear of what taking this name may bring me.” Blush
• In January 2020, she performed at an Anti-CAA protest in Shaheen Bagh, New Delhi. She sang “Tu Zinda Hai,” which is the India People Theatre Association’s song. She also recited “Bol Ke Lab Azad Hain Tere,” a poem by Faiz Ahmad Faiz. She was criticized for her participation in this protest as a message went viral on social media that the protest was, in fact, held to celebrate the exodus of Kashmiri Pandits from Jammu & Kashmir. The Indian Express
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Boyfriends||• Imaad Shah a.k.a Madboy (Actor, Musician)
• Hrithik Roshan (rumoured) The Times of India
|Parents||Father– PM Singh Grewal (Professor)
Mother– Name Not Known
|Siblings||She has an elder brother.|
|Food||Eggs, Salmon, Khasi Thali|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Saba Azad
- Does Saba Azad drink alcohol?: Yes
- Saba Azad is a prime example of “one person wearing many hats” as she is an actress, musician, and theatre director. Saba grew up in Delhi where she started her journey as a theatre artist right after finishing her schooling.
- Saba Azad is the niece of Safdar Hashmi, a communist play writer and director. Belonging to a family with a theatre background, Saba took part in Safdar Hashmi’s theatre group, Jana Natya Manch. In the theatre group, she worked with Habib Tanvir, MK Raina, GP Deshpande, and NK Sharma; giving her great exposure to the world of arts and theatre.
- Along with theatre, Saba loved dancing, and she took professional training in different dance forms like Odissi, Latin, jazz, ballet, and several other contemporary dance forms. She performed Odissi not only in India but in Canada, Nepal, and England as well.
- Before her debut in Bollywood, Sada had worked in several short films where her first short film was “Guroor,” directed by Ishaan Nair, and the film was featured at several international film festivals in New York and Florence.
- Saba Azad made her Bollywood debut as a lead with the film “Dil Kabaddi” (2008) where she worked with Rahul Bose. She is well-known for her role in “Mujhse Fraaandship Karoge?” (2011) which marked her big break in the industry. She also did various commercials for some big brands like Cadbury, Pond’s, Google, Kit Kat, Vodafone, Sunsilk, Airtel, and more.
- With her interest in the field of theatre, Saba Azad opened up her own theatre company, “The Skins” in 2010 and directed her first play, Lovepuke. Her interest in music and singing motivated her to start an electronic band with a fellow actor and musician, Imaad Shah in 2012.
- Saba Azad had to go through a lot of hate and trolling when she decided to change her name to Saba Sultana Azad from Saba Singh Grewal. She addressed this issue on Instagram by making a post explaining why she changed her name and how it did not affect her in any way. She said:
Hello my name is Saba Singh Grewal and I’m a proud child of a Sardar and a Kashmiri. In a time where diversity is looked at as a threat, where secularism and inclusiveness have become cuss words, where ones name is one’s only identity, I took a name of my own choosing “AZAD” (free) – free of religious tags, free of a conditioned understanding of what or who I may be, free of the fear of what taking this name may bring me.”
- For the role of Preity Sen in “Mujhse Fraaandship Karoge?” (2011), Saba was asked to get a haircut where she would lose her knee-length hair, and this left her in tears. However, she ended up liking the haircut and was satisfied with her makeover.
- The electric duo, Madboy/Mink, has been working together since 2012, and they have together performed in several cities across India. In 2013, Imaad Shah made it public that the duo had been living together for a year, and their common interests led to the beginning of their relationship.
- In 2013, Yash Raj Film’s Talent division posted a “DHOOM anthem” on YouTube starring Saba Azad.
- Apart from being an actress in Bollywood, Saba has also recorded songs for movies like “Dhak Dhak Karne Laga” for “Nautanki Saala” (2013), “Calcutta Kiss” for “Detective Byomkesh Bakshy” (2015), “Neend Na Mujhko Aaye” for “Shaandaar” (2015) and “Nakhrewali” for “Mard Ko Dard Nahi Hota” (2018).
- Saba Azad has been very vocal about various social issues, and she took part in the Anti-CAA protests that took place in January 2020 in Shaheen Bagh where she performed along with several other artists. Before reciting a piece of poetry by Faiz Ahmed Faiz, she said,
We’ve heard that these days, some people have a problem with Faiz saab. So we’ll recite his nazm.