Wife: Geeta Nirupam
Age: 54 Years
|Full Name||Sanjay Brijkishorlal Nirupam|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 165 cm
in meters– 1.65 m
in feet inches– 5’ 5”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 75 kg
in pounds– 165 lbs
|Political Party||• Shiv Sena (1993-2005)
• Indian National Congress (2005-Present)
|Political Journey||• Joined as the Executive Editor in Dopahar Ka Saamna (mouthpiece of the Shiv Sena) in 1993
• Handpicked by Bal Thackeray to represent Shiv Sena in the Rajya Sabha in 1996
• During this term, he was a member of committees such as the Consultative Committee for the Ministry of External Affairs, the Executive Council for the Institute of Constitutional and Parliamentary Studies, and the Joint Committee for the Central Vigilance Commission Bill
• Re-elected to the Rajya Sabha in 2000 for a second term
• Resigned from the Shiv Sena in March 2005
• Joined the Indian National Congress in April 2005
• During this stint, he was a member of the Committee of Finance, the Committee of Commerce, and the Committee of Information and Technology
• Elected to the 15th Lok Sabha from the North Mumbai Lok Sabha constituency from 2009 to 2014
• Appointed as the Congress spokesperson in 2012
• He has been a member of Parliamentary committees such as the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) and the Finance Committee and also opened the 2013-14 Budget Debate for the Congress Party in Parliament.
• In 2015, he was appointed as the President of the Mumbai Regional Congress Committee
• He got replaced by Milind Deora as the Mumbai Congress President in 2019
• He contested the 15th Lok Sabha from the North West Constituency of Mumbai
|Date of Birth||6 February 1965|
|Age (as in 2019)||54 Years|
|College||Anugrah Narayan College, Patna|
|Educational Qualification||B.A. (Hons.) Political Science|
|Address||2304, Baverly Hill Shastri Nagar, Lokhandwala Andheri West, Mumbai|
|Hobbies||Writing poems and articles|
|Controversies||• He was criticized by a faction of society for making some objectionable statements in the Shiv Sensa mouthpiece, Dopahar Ka Saamna
• He had accused Pramod Mahajan of a corruption scandal involving Reliance industries in October 1998
• In 1998 during a Rajya Sabha session, he stated that Actor Dilip Kumar is a Pakistani; for his support of Deepa Mehta’s film ‘Fire’
• Smriti Irani filed a defamation case against Sanjay Nirupam in 2013, for his derogatory remarks against her on a live TV debate. Sanjay said-
“I don’t have to listen to you. It’s been four days since you have entered politics and you already think you are a great political analyst, till yesterday you were dancing on television and today you have become a politician.”
• In 2018, he called PM Narendra Modi ‘anpad, gawar’ (Illiterate and uncultured). He said this as the Maharashtra Government had decided to show a documentary on Modi’s early life in all state schools. He said that children should not be seeing a documentary of an illiterate man
• In 2019, members of the Mumbai Congress opposed of Sanjay being the President of the Mumbai Congress. They urged Mallikarjun Kharge (Maharashtra Congress in-charge) to replace him.
• He blamed Gopal Shetty (the Sitting MP from Mumbai North constituency; who had won against Sanjay Nirupam in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections) of encroachment and working exclusively for builders and cronies
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||10 October 1989|
Daughter– Shivani Nirupam
|Parents||Father– Late Brij Kishor Lal
Mother– Prem Devi
|Siblings||Brother– Dipesh Nirupam
|Car Collection||Hyundai i20 (2000 model)|
(As in 2014)
|Movable Assets: ₹53.93 lacs
Cash: ₹2.06 lacs
Immovable Assets: ₹2.12 crores
A Residential Building in Shastri Nagar, Mumbai worth ₹2.12 crores
|Net Worth (approx.)||₹5.36 Crores (As in 2014)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sanjay Nirupam
- Sanjay Nirupam is a prominent member of the Indian National Congress (INC). He was the All India Secretary of the Congress Party in 2013 and was the President of the Mumbai Regional Congress from 2015 to March 2019.
- He developed an interest in politics when he was pursuing his graduation in 1984.
- Before entering politics, he started his career as a journalist in New Delhi in 1986. Two years later, he joined the Jan Satta (Sister publication of The Indian Express) and moved to Mumbai.
- He got married to Geeta on 10 October 1989.
- In 1993, Bal Thackeray asked him to join Dopahar Ka Saamna, the mouthpiece for the Shiv Sena, as an Executive Editor.
- In September 1996, Bal Thackeray handpicked Nirupam to represent the Shiv Sena in the Rajya Sabha and propagate the party’s views and interests in the parliament.
- Nirupam resigned from the Shiv Sena in March 2005; after a long rivalry with the BJP leader and the former Telecommunications Minister Pramod Mahajan, whom he had accused of corruption.
- He joined the Indian National Congress (INC) in April 2005 and was soon appointed as the General Secretary of the Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) by Sonia Gandhi.
- In 2008, he became the first politician ever to join the reality TV show Bigg Boss, but he was eliminated from the show after just a week. Sanjay said he wanted to experience the show, and see how it felt to be under surveillance 24*7.
- In 2011, he supported Anna Hazare for his Jan Lokpal Bill along with Priya Dutt. Nirupam surprised everyone by wearing an Anna Hazare cap. He also promised Anna to press for a strong Lokpal Bill in the parliament.
- He was elected to the 15th Lok Sabha in 2009 from the North Mumbai constituency but lost the seat to Gopal Shetty in 2014.
- He has been organizing International Wrestling Tournaments every year for the past 10 years with the top-ranked wrestlers.
- Sanjay reportedly organizes Free Eye Checkup Camps, Tree-Plantation drives, Youth Development Programs, Maharashtra Day and many more social and cultural events regularly in his constituency.
- His daughter, Shivani Nirupam, often accompanies him in political events and rallies to campaign alongside him before elections. She was a part of a special Youth Rally before the 2014 general elections.
- In October 2016, Sanjay had questioned the government and asked for proof for the surgical strikes, for which he was criticized by all including his own party. Sanjay even got a lot of death threats. His wife, Geeta, wrote an open letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi asking for protection for her family.
- In September 2018, government schools were showing a documentary about Prime Minister Narendra Modi on which Sanjay remarked that schools should not be showing a documentary about an illiterate person such as Narendra Modi. He faced a lot of criticism for this statement. In response to this remark, Shaina NC of the BJP tweeted-
Yet another abnoxious comment by a mentally deranged @sanjaynirupam . May be he forgets that @narendramodi is elected by 125 cr Indians who aren’t “unpad or gavar “. @INCIndia is devoid of ideology and relevant questions . Sure citizens will give a befitting reply in 2019 pic.twitter.com/KUXs9m0Q4z
— Chowkidar Shaina NC (@ShainaNC) September 12, 2018
- In 2019, members of the Mumbai Congress had criticized his leadership as the President of the Mumbai Congress. They had a meeting with Mallikarjun Kharge (Maharashtra Congress Committee in-charge) and demanded Nirupam’s replacement. On 25 March 2019, he was replaced as the President of the Mumbai Congress, by Milind Deora. Sanjay was named the Congress party’s candidate of the North West Mumbai Constituency for the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections.