|Profession||Air Pistol Shooter|
|Famous For||Winning gold medal in the Asian Games 2018|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Wikipedia Height||in centimeters– 173 cm
in meters– 1.73 m
in feet inches– 5’ 8”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 60 kg
in pounds– 135 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Event(s)||AP60, APMIX, and APTEAMM|
|International Debut||Asian Championships at Tehran in 2016|
|Coach(es)/Mentor(s)||• Jaspal Rana
• Amit Sheoran
2018: Youth Olympic Games in the event 10m air pistol held in Buenos Aries
2018: World Junior Championship in the event 10m air pistol held in Changwon
2018: Asian Games in the event 10m air pistol held in Palembang
2018: ISSF Junior World Cup in the event 10m air pistol held in Suhl
2018: ISSF Junior World Cup in the event Mixed team 10m air pistol held in Suhl
2018: ISSF Junior World Cup in the event 10m air pistol team junior held in Suhl
2019: ISSF World Cup in the event 10m air pistol held in New Delhi
2019: ISSF World Cup in the event 10m air pistol held in Munich
2019: ISSF World Cup in the event Mixed Team 10m air pistol in New Delhi
2019: ISSF World Cup in the event Mixed Team 10m air pistol in Beijing
2019: ISSF World Cup in the event Mixed Team 10m air pistol in Munich
2019: ISSF World Cup in the event Mixed Team 10m air pistol in Rio de Janeiro
2021: ISSF World Cup in the event 10m air pistol held in New Delhi
2021: ISSF World Cup in the event 10m air pistol mixed team in New Delhi
|Records (main ones)||• Best Juniors Score: 243.7 (ISSF Junior World Cup, Germany)
• Best Asian Games Score: 240.7
|Shooting Club||Veer Sahamal Rifle Club|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Emerging Sportsman of the Year Male award at the Indian Sports Honours in 2019
• Laxman Award on the occasion of Uttar Pradesh Diwas in 2020
• Arjuna Award in 2021
|Date of Birth||12 May 2002 (Sunday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||19 Years|
|Birthplace||Kalina Village, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh|
|Hometown||Kalina Village, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh|
|School||Guru Govind Singh Public School, Rohta, Uttar Pradesh. YouTube|
|Food Habit||Vegetarian Olympics|
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father– Jagmohan Singh Chaudhary (farmer)
Mother– Brajesh Devi
|Siblings||Brother– Nitin (elder)
Sister– Sakshi (elder)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Saurabh Chaudhary
- Saurabh Chaudhary is an Indian 10 m air pistol shooter.
- In childhood, he used to visit the local fares in his village. He loved playing shooting games there and developed an interest in the game.
- He met the Indian pistol shooting coach Amit Sheoran at the shooting range ‘Veer Shahmal Rifle Club’ in Binauli, Baghpat, Uttar Pradesh, when Saurabh was 11 years old.
- He used to travel daily by bus along with his friend to practice at the shooting range which is 15 km away from his home.
- In an interview, while talking about the initial days of Saurabh at the Veer Shahmal Rifle Club, his personal coach Amit Sheoran said,
When he started shooting, we had just a few pistols in 2014. So it was not possible for everyone to do the shooting. So the students used to practice position and strengthening their hands and wrists. I told him to wring a wet sack two times a day because if as a kid if you do it more your hands start shaking. But he would do it four times in the morning and the same in the evening. He is just unbelievable. There were no fans. The other kids would stop their practice in smouldering summer afternoons. Not Saurabh. Only 13 then, he would be drenched in sweat but keep shooting. He would always remain focused and calm, like a monk.”
- He did not have a pistol of his own to practice shooting. So, Saurabh’s father took a loan of Rs. 2 lakh to buy him a pistol. In an interview, Saurabh’s brother talked about it. He said,
We had a discussion among the family members and it was decided we will buy it. Saurabh now has two pistols but he shoots with the first one only, After returning from his practice, he would want to train at home as well. There were too many people at the practice range, so he was never satisfied. So we decided to make this range between the two rooms.”
- At just the age of 15, he beat Jitu Rai in the final of the KSS Shooting Championship in 2017.
- He made his first international debut at the Asian Championship in Tehran in 2016. Later, he participated in many national and international competitions including ISSF World Championship, ISSF World Cup, Youth Olympic Games, Asian Games, and Asian Air Gun Championship.
- In December 2017, he qualified for the Youth Olympic Games with a gold medal in the 10th Asia Youth Olympic Games qualification round.
- On 21 August 2018, he won the gold medal in the 10m Air Rifle tournament in the Asian Games with a record score of 240.7, beating Japan’s Tomoyuki Matsuda.
- In 2018, Saurabh made a record by winning a gold medal in the Asian Games. After winning the medal, he said in an interview,
Subah sochke nikla tha, jo hoga dekha jaaega. If I had been thinking, or if something was going on in my mind, I wouldn’t have got this medal. I know these people are big shooters, but I’ve never seen them. I don’t have any role models in shooting really. I just try to get better myself.”
- After his victory in the Asian games, he was congratulated by many Indian celebrities and sports personalities like Virender Sehwag, V. V. S. Laxman, and Sania Mirza. Prime Minister Narendra Modi also made a tweet praising Saurabh for his victory.
What were you doing when you were 16?
Saurabh Chaudhary is shattering records, a new Games Record in Final with score of 240.7 pts. Congratulations for the Gold Saurabh, competing against some of the best in the world. India India pic.twitter.com/zMg3dv5M5h
— Virender Sehwag (@virendersehwag) August 21, 2018
- After Saurabh won a Gold Medal for India in Asian Games, the Uttar Pradesh Government announced Rs. 50 lakh reward money and a gazetted government job to him.
- In the 10 m air pistol shooting event, he was selected under the Olympic quota to represent India at the Tokyo Olympic 2020. The event was held in 2021, due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- In an interview, while talking about Saurabh, his father said,
Uski duniya uske dimag ke andar hai [his world is in his mind]. Even we have not fully understood him and his nature. He just needs his pistol and the shooting range and that is all he cares about. He doesn’t fuss over anything else, Even if you are sitting behind him while he is training, he is unaffected. He keeps practising, you don’t realise if it was a good or a bad shot by looking at his face.”
- In 2020, Chaudhary was listed in Forbes 30 Under 30 list.
- In an interview, Saurabh shared how he spends his leisure time. He said,
I like farming. We don’t get much time off from training but whenever I do, I go back to my Village (Kalina) and help my father. I did not feel any pressure. I like drawing, prefers to stay away from a phone and divides my day into segments. Morning yoga, then breakfast, then shooting. I got into shooting because I liked the pistol.”
- In April 2021, he was featured on the cover of the digital magazine ‘Kreeda 360.’
- In an interview, Saurabh’s brother talked about Saurabh’s practice sessions. He said,
The sound of the pistol would disturb everyone. The neighbours would come the next morning and ask what was happening in the night but slowly everyone got used to it.”