Age: 51 Years
Wife: Jennifer Morrison
Hometown: Waverley, New South Wales, Australia
Some Lesser Known Facts About Scott Morrison
- Does Scott Morrison drink alcohol?: Yes
- He was born to John Morrison, a policeman and also a mayor for a brief period and, Marion Morrison, who worked in administrative services. He grew up with his elder brother, Alan Morrison.
- He was a child actor and appeared in many television commercials.
- He is married to his high school girlfriend. He started dating Jennifer when they were both 16 and married her when 21. He went on to have to daughters with her.
- From 1989 to 1995, he worked as a National Policy and Research Manager for the Property Council of Australia
- He then shifted his focus to tourism. He served as the Deputy Chief Executive of the Australian Tourism Task Force.
- In 1998, Morrison shifted to New Zealand to become the director of Tourism and Sport.
- He was also involved with the creation of the campaign, “100% Pure New Zealand.” He also shared a very good relationship with the Minister of Tourism of New Zealand at that time, Murray McCully.
- In April 2000, he came back to Australia and became the State Director of the Liberal Party. He was in charge of the party’s campaigns in the 2001 federal election and the 2003 state election.
- In 2004, he left the office to become the first-ever Managing Director of Tourism Australia.
- In 2006, he was sacked from the position apparently after he had a conflict with the Tourism Minister, Fran Bailey.
- In 2007, he lost to Michael Towke in the preselection for the Division of Cook (an electorate of Sydney), but the Liberal Party soon after disendorsed Towke (he was alleged to have embellished his resume), Scott was chosen for the position.
- On 15 February 2011, Scott publicly showed his sympathy for the victims of the “Christmas Island boat disaster” and asked the government to pay for the relatives of the victims to travel to the funerals in Sydney. The treasurer of Australia disagreed with his statement and soon after Scott issued another statement saying that his timing of the comments was wrong and insensitive.
- On 18 September 2013, he launched Operation Sovereign Borders (an operation aimed at stopping unauthorized boats departing for Australia).
- In 2015, in the Turnbull Government, he was appointed as the Treasurer of the Government.
- He has a pet cat, named Charlie.
- In August 2018, he was selected as the new Prime Minister of Australia after the party rivals ousted Malcolm Turnbull.
- He is a devoted Christian and is affiliated with the Assemblies of God and the Australian Christian Churches.
- On a rare occasion on a cricket field, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison acted as a water boy during a practice game between the Prime Minister’s XI and at the Manuka Oval on 24 October 2019.