|Full Name||Syed Shahnawaz Hussain|
|Title||The Original Youth Leader|
|Famous For||The Youngest Cabinet Minister ever in the Government of India at the age of 30|
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
|Political Journey||• He was appointed as the All India Secretary of Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJP Youth Wing) while still in college
• Elected to the 13th Lok Sabha in 1999
• He was sworn in as the Union Minister of State (MoS) for Food Processing Industries under the Atal Bihari Vajpayee Government
• Eventually, he was given many portfolios under the Union MoS for Youth Affairs and Sports, Ministry of Human Resource Development
• He was entrusted with the independent charge of the Ministry of Coal in February 2001
• Appointed as the Cabinet Minister of Civil Aviation in September 2001
• In May 2003, he was appointed as the Cabinet Minister of Textiles
• He was elected to the 14th Lok Sabha on 9 November 2006 through a by-election
• During his term in the 14th Lok Sabha, he was a member of the Standing Committee of External Affairs, Financial Committee on Estimates and Chairman of the Committee of Petitions
• On 17 December 2009, he was appointed as the official BJP Spokesperson in the Parliament
• He was re-elected for a 3rd term to the 15th Lok Sabha in 2009
• During the 15th Lok Sabha term, he was a member of the Committee of Personnel, Public Grievances, Law and Justice and also a member of the Committee of Petitions
• He Lost the 2014 Lok Sabha Election from the Bhagalpur Constituency
|Date of Birth||12 December 1968|
|Age (as of 2021)||53 Years|
|Birthplace||Buzrug Dwar Warisnagar, Samastipur, Bihar, India|
|Hometown||Buzrug Dwar Warisnagar, Samastipur, Bihar, India|
|School||Williams High School, Supaul, Bihar|
|College/Institute||• B.S.S. College, Supaul, Patna
• Industrial Training Institute, Pusa, New Delhi
|Educational Qualification||Diploma in Engineering from Patna and New Delhi|
|Caste/Sect||Sunni Gulf News|
|Address||Ward No. 20, Kosi Colony, Supaul- 852131, Bihar|
|Hobbies||• Social work
• Reading and watching the news
• Watching sports
|Controversy||In January 2018, a woman filed a rape case against Shahnawaz. Later on, Delhi High Court put a stay order on the complaint. On 17 August 2022, the Delhi High Court ordered to register an FIR against Shahnawaz. The court said, “There is no merit in the present petition. The petition is dismissed. The interim orders stand vacated. The FIR be registered forthwith. The investigations be completed and a detailed report under Section 173 Cr.P.C. be submitted before the learned MM (metropolitan magistrate) within three months.” The Hindu|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||Year 1994|
|Children||Son(s)– Arbaaz Hussain, Adeeb Hussain
Daughter– Adira Hussain
|Parents||Father– Late Syed Nasir Hussain
Mother– Late Nasima Khatoon
|Car Collection||Ambassador (2006 model)|
|Assets/Properties (as in 2014)||Movable Assets (worth ₹80.45 lacs)
Immovable Assets: (worth ₹3.9 crores)
3 Residential properties in Ghaziabad, Noida, and Bhagalpur worth ₹3.7 crores
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs 4.7 Crore (as of 2014)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Shahnawaz Hussain
- Shahnawaz Hussain is one of the most prominent leaders of the BJP. He is considered as the Muslim face of the BJP with a strong Hindu base, along with Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi and Najma Heptulla.
- While studying for his Diploma in Engineering, he was introduced to the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) by a friend. He was shocked on being introduced and invited to the RSS; as at that time, he believed that RSS was their enemy. People around him had told him that the RSS hates Muslims and was a Hindutva based organization. After being persuaded by his friend, he paid them a visit and interacted with them and other BJP leaders. Thereafter, he started to understand the ideology of the RSS.
- He had worked as an engineer in a few private companies before entering into politics.
- In 1991, he joined the National Executive’s body of the BJP’s Youth Wing and worked under Uma Bharti.
- He proved to be an inspiration to many new workers in the BJP; as he joined the party at the grassroots level and went on to become the All India Secretary of BJP’s Youth Wing.
- His wife, Renu Sharma, is a Hindu with whom he had an inter-caste marriage. He had to wait 9 years to marry her; as he had to convince their families for the marriage and after they agreed, he got married to Renu in 1994. Although, their families did not get along after their marriage and had differences between them.
- He has two sons and a daughter, and after the birth of his first son, their families came together as one and diminished their differences.
- In 1999, he went on to be elected to the 13th Lok Sabha for the first time from the Kishanganj Constituency of Bihar.
- On 13 October 1999, he was included into the Atal Bihari Vajpayee‘s Cabinet as the Minister of State (MoS), Food Processing Industries.
- He then moved on to become the Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports, and thereafter, the Minister of State for Human Resource Development.
- On 7 February 2001, he was given the independent charge of Coal Ministry by Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- Shahnawaz claims the record for being the youngest Cabinet Minister ever in The Government of India’s history at the age of 30 when he was given the rank of a Cabinet Minister for the Civil Aviation portfolio by Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- After that, he was entrusted with the responsibility of the Cabinet Minister for Textiles Ministry on 24 May 2003.
- Later on, he went on to become the National Spokesperson of the BJP in the Parliament on 17 December 2009.
- He has been elected to the Lok Sabha for 3 times consecutively.
- Shahnawaz Hussain also managed to bring in Bhagalpur in the list of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Smart Cities Mission.
- In the 2014 general elections, Shahnawaz Hussain lost from the Bhagalpur seat; resulting in him not returning to the Lok Sabha for the 4th term in a row.
- On 23rd January 2016, he received a threat letter from the ISIS; which reportedly contained objectionable language in English and Urdu. He reported this in North Avenue Police Station.
- In 2019, the BJP denied him a ticket for the 2019 Lok Sabha elections but he took this in good spirits and tweeted that he will be supporting Narendra Modi to become the Prime Minister once again –
My party has always kept faith in me & previously given me tickets in 6 Lok Sabha Elections. I may not be contesting elections this time but will put in all my efforts to once again make @narendramodi ji the PM of our great nation.#LokSabhaElections2019 #PhirEkBaarModiSarkar
— Syed Shahnawaz Hussain (@ShahnawazBJP) March 23, 2019