|Party||Indian National Congress (INC)|
|Political Journey||1970s: She became the Chairperson of Young Women’s Association.
1984: Became the Member of Parliament from Kannauj in Uttar Pradesh.
1986-89: Became the Union minister. During this period, she also worked as minister of state for parliamentary affairs.
1998: Became the Chief Minister of Delhi.
2003: Again became the Chief Minister of Delhi.
2008: Became the Chief Minister of Delhi for the third time.
2013: Lost the Delhi Assembly Elections and on 8 December, she resigned as the Chief Minister of Delhi.
2014: In March, appointed as the Governor of Kerala but was forced to resign five months later.
2019: Lost the Lok Sabha Elections to BJP’s Manoj Tiwari by 366102 votes from the North East Delhi Constituency.
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height||in centimeters- 149 cm
in meters- 1.49 m
in Feet Inches- 4’ 11”
|Weight||in Kilograms- 68 kg
in Pounds- 150 lbs
|Date of Birth||31 March 1938|
|Date of Death||20 July 2019|
|Age (at the time of death)||81 Years|
|Birthplace||Kapurthala, Punjab, India|
|Place of Death||Fortis Escorts Hospital, New Delhi|
|Death Cause||Cardiac arrhythmia (irregular heart beat) and other age related ailments|
|School||Convent of Jesus and Mary School, New Delhi|
|College/University||Miranda House, University of Delhi|
|Educational Qualification||MA (History) From the University of Delhi in 1959|
|Family||Father– Not Known
Mother– Not Known
Brother– Not Known
Sister– Pam Malhotra and Rama Dhawan
|Address||1st Floor B-2 Nizamuddin East, New Delhi 110013|
|Hobbies||Reading, Listening to Music|
|Controversies||• In 2009, she was criticized for granting parole to Manu Sharma (accused of Jessica Lal murder case).
• Same year, she was accused by Sunita Bhardwaj (BJP) of misusing Rajiv Ratan Awas Yojana funds given by the central government for her own advertisements. Later in 2013, she was found guilty by the court and an FIR was lodged against her.
• In 2010, the CAG accused her of corruption and lopsidedness in the street-light equipment imported for the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi.
• In 2016, the ACB summoned her on 26 August, in case of Water Tanker Distribution scam that happened during her 3rd tenure as the Chief Minister of Delhi.
|Favourite Politician||Sonia Gandhi|
|Favourite Food||Egg toast, cheese, papaya, aloo gobhi, pasta and cold coffee|
|Favourite Actor||Gregory Peck and Rock Hudson|
|Favourite Book||Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Husband||Late Vinod Dikshit (former IAS)|
|Children||Son– Sandeep Dikshit (Congress Politician)
Daughters– Latika Syed
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 5 Crore (as in 2019)|
- Dikshit started her career in the early 1970s by becoming the Chairperson of Young Women’s Association.
- Before joining politics, she also worked as an executive secretary for Garment Exporters’ Association.
- Though she belonged to a Khatri Family (Kapoor), she did an inter-caste marriage with Vinod Dikshit, who was from a Brahmin family and was the son of Late Uma Shankar Dikshit, a renowned freedom fighter and former union cabinet minister.
- In 1990, she was jailed along with her 82 supporters for 23 days by the state government when she protested against the violence on women.
- She considered Sonia Gandhi as her inspiration.