|Profession(s)||Singer, Music Director|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 7”
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Date of Birth||30 July 1973|
|Age (as of 2020)||47 Years|
|Birthplace||Faridabad, Haryana, India|
|School||J.D. Tyler School, Delhi|
|College||University of Delhi, New Delhi|
|Debut||Singing: Bewafa Sanam (1995, Bollywood)
Album: Rafi Ki Yaadein Vol 10-20 (1993)
Music Direction: Sooper Se Ooper (2013)
Film Actor: Jaani Dushman: Ek Anokhi Kahani (2002)
|Family||Father– Agam Kumar Nigam (Singer)
Mother– Shobha Nigam
Sisters– Meenal and Neekita (Younger)
|Awards, Honours||National Film Award
• Best Male Playback Singer, for the song “Kal Ho Naa Ho”, from the film Kal Ho Naa Ho (2003); at the 51st National Film Awards
• Best Male Playback Award, for the song “Saathiya”, from the film Saathiya (2002)
• Haryana Gaurav Samman by the Haryana Government
• Padma Shri (Art) 2022
|Controversies||• A huge controversy arose in 2015 after he supported Radhe Maa by saying- “Just my 2 pence. Kaali Maa is depicted in lesser clothes than Radhey Maa. Interesting that this country wants to sue a woman for her clothes.”
• He had some heated arguments with Babul Supriyo at the Hotel Sun-n-Sand in Juhu over the issue of royalty earned on songs.
• In April 2017, he landed himself in trouble after he posted a series of tweets regarding the sound of Azaan that he termed it as “forced religiousness.”
• After his tweets on the use of loudspeakers at mosques, a West Bengal cleric’s issued a fatwa by which he will pay INR 10 lakhs to shave off Sonu’s head. In response, Sonu invited a hairstylist Aalim Hakim to cut his hair.
• After the release of the film Ae Dil Hai Mushkil (2016) in which Anushka Sharma mocked Mohammed Rafi by saying “Wo Gaate Kam Rote Zyada The,” Sonu Nigam, being a huge fan of Rafi, lashed out at the filmmaker Karan Johar.
• At the Agenda Aaj Tak Summit in December 2018, he made a controversial statement by digging at the adoration that Pakistani singers enjoy in India. “Sometimes, I feel as if it would have been better if I were from Pakistan. At least I would get offers from India.”
• Following the suicide of Sushant Singh Rajput, Sonu Nigam posted a video on Instagram on 18 June 2020, accusing two music companies in India of diminishing his image and having full control over the entire music industry in India. On 22 June 2020, he posted another video in which he explicitly accused Bhushan Kumar of damaging his image and not promoting new talents in the industry. Later, Bhushan Kumar’s wife, Divya Khosla Kumar also posted a video and responded to Sonu Nigam’s allegations. The Quint
|Food||Paneer makhanwala, paneer kofta, gulab jamun, butter chicken and tandoori chicken|
|Actors||Shah Rukh Khan, Aamir Khan|
|Actress||Madhuri Dixit, Marlyn Monroe|
|Films||Bollywood: Amar Prem, Kunwara Baap, Half Ticket, Sholay
Hollywood: The Sixth Sense
|Musicians||Mohammed Rafi, Lata Mangeshkar, Micheal Jackson, Whitney Houston, George Michael, Michael Bolton, Cliff Richards, Mariah Carey|
|Song||“Duniya Rang Rangeeli Wah Wah” by K.L. Saigal|
|Book||Don’t Sweat the Small Things by Richard Carlson|
|Destination||Greece, Egypt, New Zealand|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Salary||Rs. 5-7 Lakh/song|
|Net Worth||$8 million|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sonu Nigam
- Does Sonu Nigam smoke?: No
- Sonu Nigam is a popular Indian playback singer who is called “Elvis Presley of India.”
- Sonu gave his first stage performance at the tender age of 3 on the popular song “Kya Hua Tera Vaada.”
- He was initially trained by classical singer Ustad Ghulam Mustafa Khan.
- At the age of 10, Sonu made his Bollywood debut as an actor by playing the role of young Shatrughan Sinha in the film ‘Taqdeer’ (1983).
- In 1989, at the age of 16, he performed on Mahabharata’s title track.
- In 1991, he shifted to Mumbai from Faridabad, and during his initial days, he used to sing cover versions to Mohammed Rafi’s songs.
- Sonu’s first super-hit song was “Accha Sila Diya” from the film ‘Bewafa Sanam’ (1995).
- Due to his similar singing style to Mohammed Rafi, he was earlier called as “Rafi clone.”
- His albums of the 90s – “Kismat”, and “Deewana” were huge hits.
- If not a singer, he would have been a scientist or an astronaut.
- His debut film as a lead actor was ‘Love in Nepal’ (2004).
- He firmly believes in fitness and is trained in ‘Taekwondo.’
- He has a fear of cockroaches.
- He enjoys doing mimicry of fellow singers and Bollywood actors, which is often seen in various events.
- He has sung songs in various languages like Hindi, English, Oriya, Tamil, Assamese, Punjabi, Bengali, Malayalam, Marathi, Telugu and Nepali.
- He did Hindi voice-overs for Hollywood animated films “Aladdin” and “Rio.”
- He hosted singing reality shows like ‘Sa Re Ga Ma’ (1995-1999), ‘Kisme Kitna Hai Dum’ in 2002, and ‘Life Ki Dhun’ Radioshow in 2006.
- He has been awarded the National Award for the song “Kal Ho Naa Ho” from the film ‘Kal Ho Naa Ho’ (2003).
- When he went to receive the National Award for the song “Kal Ho Naa Ho”, he had a hairstyle similar to that of
Late A. P. J. Abdul Kalam (the then President of India).
- He co-judged ‘Sa Re Ga Ma Pa L’il Champs International’ with Suresh Wadkar in 2007.
- In 2016, Sonu Nigam disguised as a beggar on the streets of Juhu and performed an act, called ‘The Roadside Ustaad.’
- In February 2019, he was admitted to Nanavati Hospital in Mumbai after he got a skin allergy due to the consumption of seafood.
- Following Sushant Singh Rajput‘s death, he posted a video on Instagram on 18 June 2020 in which he accused two music companies of having complete dominance in the entire music industry in India.
On 22 June 2020, he posted another video in which he allegedly took Bhushan Kumar‘s name and accused him of diminishing his image in the industry. He also warned Bhushan Kumar that he had messed with the wrong person.
Later, Bhushan Kumar’s wife, Divya Khosla Kumar also posted a video on Instagram in which she questioned Sonu Nigam over his allegations. he also termed him “thankless.”