|Famous For||Being the Managing Worker and Chairman of Sahara India Pariwar|
|Books Published||• “Shanti, Sukh: Santushti”, Essays on peace of mind and happy living (1994)
• “Maan, Samman, Atmasamman”
• “Life Mantras” (February 2016)
• “Think With Me” (December 2016)
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Baba-E-Rozgar Award (1992)
• Udyam Shree (1994)
• Karmaveer Samman (1995)
• National Citizen Award (2001)
• The Best Industrialist Award (2002)
• Businessmen of the Year Award (2002)
• Global Leadership Award (2004)
• ITA – TV Icon of the Year 2007
• Vishisht Rashtriya Udaan Samman (2010)
• Vocational Award for Excellence (2010) by Rotary International
• Business Icon of the Year award at the Powerbrands Hall of Fame Awards in London (2011)
• Honorary Doctorate in Business Leadership from the University of East London (2013)
• Honorary Degree of D. Litt. by Lalit Narayan Mithila University, Darbhanga
• General Jury Award by the Indian Television Academy Awards
|Name||Sahara India Pariwar|
|Type of Business||Public|
|Services||• Financial services
• Mass media
• IT services and outsourcing
• Health Care
|Area Served||World Wide|
|No. of Employees||1.4 million+|
|Date of Birth||10 June 1948 (Thursday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||73 Years|
|Birthplace||Araria, Bihar, India|
|Hometown||Araria, Bihar, India|
|School||Holy Child School in Kolkata (elementary)|
|College/University||Government Technical Institute, Gorakhpur|
|Educational Qualification||Graduation in Mechanical Engineering|
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Swapna Roy (Dy. Managing Worker- personnel and welfare)|
|Children||Son(s)– Sushanto Roy and Seemanto Roy|
|Parents||Father– Smt. Chhabi Roy
Mother– Late Shri Sudhir Chandra Roy
Some Lesser Known Facts About Subrata Roy Sahara
- Subrata Roy is an Indian businessman and industrialist. He is the Chairman of Sahara India Pariwar. Subrata Roy founded Sahara in the year 1978, and by 2004, the company emerged into one of the most successful conglomerates of India — making Sahara India the second largest employer in India after the Indian Railways.
- After two decades, Subrata Roy’s company Sahara India Pariwar achieved new heights. Its success was featured by the India Today group. Subrata Roy was featured in the list of ‘10 Most Powerful People of India’. Additionally, the Sahara group expanded its operations in more than 5,000 establishments across the country — employing a workforce of around 1.4 million under the Sahara India Pariwars umbrella.
- Subrata Roy used to sell salted snacks on his Lambretta scooter at the beginning of his career.
- He started the journey of Sahara with just 3 workers in 1978, by 2014, Sahara became the second largest employer of India.
- Subrata Roy started Sahara India as a single establishment in Gorakhpur.
- He provided financial aid to 127 families of Kargil martyrs.
- Sahara India remained the official sponsor of the Indian Cricket Team for the longest run from 2002 to 2013.
- In 1978, Subrata Roy joined Sahara Finance and took the charge of the company in his own hands after two years.
- In the 1990s, he moved to Lucknow which later became the base of the conglomerate.
- The same year, Subrata Roy launched – Sahara City project covering 217 self-sufficient townships.
- Sahara’s domain has now been expanded to financial services, real estate, media, entertainment, tourism, health care, and hospitality.
- Subrata Roy launched Sahara TV which was later renamed as ‘Sahara One’ in 2000.
- Presently, Sahara India has 9 crore plus investors and depositors which represent around 13 per cent of households in India.
- In 2019, Sahara launched its own electric vehicle (EVs) brand named ‘Sahara Evols’ along with another advanced allied service.