|Famous For||Winning the gold medal In Men’s para-badminton by beating Hary Susanto of Indonesia in the finals when he was also serving as the District Magistrate of Azamgarh, Uttar Pradesh|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 175 cm
in meters– 1.75 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 9”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 61 kg
in pounds– 134 lbs
|Service||Indian Administration Service (IAS)|
|Major Designations(s)||• 01/06/2008 – 23/09/2011: Assistant Collector & Assistant Magistrate (Junior Scale) at Agra
• 07/02/2011 – 21/05/2012: Chief Development Officer and Under Secretary at Mathura
• 23/09/2011 – 21/05/2012: District Collector and District Magistrate on Junior Scale at Land Revenue & Disaster Mnagement Department at Mahamaya Nagar
• 22/05/2012 – 29/09/2012: District Magistrate and Under-Secretary at Sonbhadra
• 30/09/2012 – 20/01/2015: District Magistrate and Under-Secretary at Jaunpur
• 21/01/2015 – 23/05/2017: District Magistrate and Deputy Secretary at Azamgarh
• 24/05/2017 – 25/10/2017: Special Secretary and Deputy Secretary (District Not Known)
• 26/10/2017 – 21/02/2019: District Magistrate and Deputy Secretary at Prayagraj
• 22/02/2019: Special Secretary and Deputy Secretary in Uttar Pradesh
|Men’s Para badminton|
|Medals||• Asia Championships 2016
Gold medal at Beijing, China in Men’s singles
• BWF Turkish Open Para-Badminton Championships 2017
• BWF Japan Open Para-Badminton Championships 2017
• Asian Para Games 2018
• National Para-Badminton Championships 2018
• BWF Turkish Open Para-Badminton Championships 2018
• BWF Uganda Open Para-Badminton Championships 2019
• BWF Irish Open Para-Badminton Championships 2019
• BWF Thailand Open Para-Badminton Championships 2019
• BWF China Open Para-Badminton Championships 2019
• BWF Turkish Open Para-Badminton Championships 2019
• BWF Denmark Open Para-Badminton Championships 2019
• BWF Japan Open Para-Badminton Championships 2019
|Awards, Honours and Achievements (In Administration)||• 2016: He was shortlisted for Prime Minister’s award for excellent performance in Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Award
• 2016: He developed the mobile applications for undernourished children and pregnant mothers, titled Kuposhan ka Darpan and Pregnancy ka Darpan
• 2016: He developed a mobile application for helping differently-abled voters during general elections
• Soon, he was awarded for his excellent work in administration by the Revenue minister and government of UP and Chairman Board of Revenue
• At the same time, he was awarded for good performance in election-related work by the Governor UP
• 2016: During his tenure as District Magistrate at Azamgarh, he got shortlisted for Prime Minister’s award for exemplary work in PM Jan Dhan Yojna on civil services day
|Awards, Honours and Achievements (In Sports)||• 2016: Yash Bharti, highest civilian honour of UP. News18
• 2016: Best Para Sportsperson award by State government of Uttar Pradesh on World Disability Day in Lucknow
• 2017: Memento presented by the president of BAI (Badminton Association of India) during PBL (Premier Badminton League) in Lucknow
• 2017: Special award by Hon’ble Chief Minister of UP for International Medals for the country and a cash prize of 10 Lac rupees and appreciation certificate.
|Date of Birth||2 July 1983 (Saturday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||38 Years|
|Birthplace||Hassan, Karnataka, India|
|Hometown||Hassan, Karnataka, India|
|School||DVS independent college Shivamogga, Karnataka.|
|College/University||N.I.T. Karnataka, India|
|Educational Qualification(s)||• He completed his secondary school education from DVS independent college Shivamogga, Karnataka. Road To Mussoorie Blogspot
• He obtained a bachelors degree in engineering in Software from N.I.T. Karnataka, India in 2004 Supremo
|Address||Gautam Buddh Nagar, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Relationships & More|
|Wife||Ritu Suhas (She was selected as Mrs U.P in Mrs. India 2019, and she is a PCS officer)
|Parents||Father– Yathiraj L K(late) (a government servant)
Mother– Jayashree C S
|Siblings||Brother– Sharath L Y|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Suhas Lalinakere Yathiraj
- Suhas Lalinakere Yathiraj is an Indian professional Para-Badminton player and an Indian Administration Officer (IAS) of Uttar Pradesh cadre of the 2007 batch.
- Suhas Lalinakere Yathiraj was the first to represent India in 2016 in Men’s Para-Badminton, and he is a self-taught badminton player.
- In 2016, in Beijing, China, Suhas Lalinakere became the first Indian bureaucrat professional to win the Asian Para-Badminton Championship series. He beat his opponent Hary Susanto of Indonesia in the finals and won a gold medal when he was also serving as the District Magistrate of Azamgarh. Suhas Lalinakere came into the limelight when as an Indian bureaucrat, he won the gold in Men’s Para-Badminton championships in 2016.
- In a conversation with ANI News, ANI Suhas Lalinakere narrated that he felt like doing meditation while playing badminton. He further added that anyone could make proper use of a day if one had the passion to do something. He said,
I love my work so I don’t get tired while working also while practising badminton. Badminton is a spiritual exercise for me. It kind of field like meditation for me. Everyone has 24 hours a day,some people do, some people make excuses for that.”
- Suhas Lalinakere is the recipient of the Yash Bharti award, Uttar Pradesh’s highest civilian honour on 1 December 2016. He was given this award by the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Yogi Adityanath. The Times of India
- On 3 December 2016, Suhas Lalinakere was honoured with an award for his extraordinary performances in para-sports by the state government on World Disabilities Day. BBC
- Suhas Lalinakere was awarded by the Governor of Uttar Pradesh for his extraordinary performance in duties related to elections, and he was also honoured by the Revenue Minister and Chairman, Board of Revenue for his exemplary dedication to the revenue administration department in 2017. The Times of India
- In 2017, Suhas Lalinakere was honoured with a certificate by Yogi Adityanath, the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh for winning the medals for India internationally.
- In the general elections of 2017, his wife, Ritu Suhas was awarded for her excellent work in voter awareness.
- Suhas’s success mantra is,
- In 2018, the Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi met Suhas Lalinakere for congratulating him for winning a bronze medal in the team at the Asian Para Games.
- In March 2018, Suhas Lalinakere won a gold medal in Men’s Singles category and became the national champion at the second National Para-Badminton Championships organised at Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
- In 2019, Suhas Lalinakere started serving as a District Magistrate Officer of Gautam Buddha Nagar, Uttar Pradesh. Formerly, he was designated as the District Magistrate of Prayagraj.
- Suhas Lalinakere’s father was a government official, so his early education was in different cities due to his father’s postings at different places in India.
- A year after completing his graduation, Suhas Lalinakere began inclining towards preparing for UPSC examinations, and soon, he started preparing for it. In a conversation with a media person, he explained his studies’ journey,
I want to thank God for this because when I used to study I didn’t even think of becoming a district collector. It was a dream come true, then I got the opportunity to participate in civil service also.”
- At the age of 37, Suhas Lalinakere cleared the 2007 batch IAS examination of UP cadre and became the first specially-abled IAS officer of India. He began serving as a bureaucratic officer at Agra, Uttar Pradesh.
- In 2020, during the COVID-19 pandemic lockdown in India, Suhas Lalinakere was appreciated for working day and night for containing the transmission of the coronavirus in Gautam Buddh Nagar. In an interview, he stated,
As a sportsman, I have learnt that there is no substitute for hard work. In a crisis, you have to be ready to work even 20 hours a day. You will get results only if you work sincerely. My teams are always alert. We are happily participating in meetings even around midnight.”
- In an interview with WION, Suhas appealed to the parents of the Divyaang children to motivate them in their future achievements and goals. He stated,
I want to appeal to all parents, especially those who have Divyang son or daughter, to please encourage their children for sports and fill them with confidence that they can achieve anything if they make an effort. There would be wins and losses but they can achieve anything.”
- In 2020, in a conversation with ANI, Suhas Lalinakere expressed that he studied in normal school and college and became an IAS officer and a Paralympics Badminton player only through efforts and trying hard. He narrated,
I want to say to all the people, and especially the youth, that whatever you want to do in life, try to do that. Because sometimes we win sometimes we lose in life, but one should never back down from the effort. I want to say this to all the youth that I studied in normal school and college and I joined the civil services and now I am going to Paralympics.”
- In 2021, Suhas Lalinakere was selected to represent India in the Paralympics in Tokyo (24 August to 5 September).