|Physical Stats & More|
|Major Designations||1989: Assistant Commissioner (UT)
1990: S D O (Rampur)
1991: Resident Commissioner
1993: Managing Director
1994: Director (Project) (Primary Education)
1996: Deputy Commissioner (Chamba)
1998: Director (D/o Home) and Director (Town & Country Planning Deptt)
1999: Special Secretary and Director (Panchayati Raj Department)
2001: Director (Personnel) M/o Power Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Limited
2006: Deputy Commissioner, Shimla
2008: Member (Admin) at State Electricity Board and Managing Director at Power Department, Shimla
2009: Director, Energy Department and Power Transmission Corporation Limited, Himachal Pradesh, Shimla
2011: Joint Secretary at M/o New & Renewable Energy
2016: Principal Secretary to Government at Forests & Environment Department Excise
2017: Additional Chief Secretary at Forests & Environment Department Excise
2018 – 2019: Vice Chairman at Housing and Urban Affairs & Delhi Development Authority (DDA)
2020: Secretary at Petroleum & Natural Gas, New Delhi
2022: Adviser to P M O
|Date of birth||23 November 1961 (Thursday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||60 Years|
|Birthplace||The Keleston Residency, Longwood, Shimla|
|School||Central School, Yol Cantt, Kangra, Himachal Pradesh|
|College/University||University of Delhi|
|Educational Qualification||Electrical Engineering from the University of Delhi|
|Political Inclination||Bharatiya Janata Party The Print|
|Relationships & More|
|Wife||Shakti Luther (Associate Professor at HP University)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Tarun Kapoor
- Tarun Kapoor is a retired Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer and former Secretary of Petroleum and Natural Gas of the Government of India. On 2 May 2022, he was appointed as an advisor to Prime Minister Narendra Modi. He was appointed for a period of two years from the date of joining. The retired IAS officer Bhaskar Khulbe’s term came to an end in February 2022, and the position of PM’s adviser had fallen vacant.
- Before being appointed as the Petroleum Secretary of India, he served as the Vice-Chairman of the Delhi Development Authority.
- Tarun Kapoor has worked in various departments of the Government of Himachal Pradesh such as Power, Environment & Forests, Food and Civil Supplies, Excise, and PWD as Additional Chief Secretary.
- From 2011 to 2016, Tarun Kapoor served as the Joint Secretary in the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy on the National Solar Mission. Later, he was appointed to look after the Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Ltd, a CPSE in the area of hydropower.
- When Tarun Kapoor was serving as the Joint Secretary in the Ministry of Renewable Energy at the Centre, he prepared a blueprint for the Prime Minister’s plan to promote solar energy in India. This made his companions call him by the name IAS Solar Man.
- From 2018 to 2021, Tarun Kapoor served as the Chief Secretary of Himachal Pradesh state and as the Director of Panchayati Raj and Rural Development in the State Government, Deputy Commissioner of Shimla and Chamba districts. He worked in Pangi, a tribal area in Himachal Pradesh, as the Resident Commissioner. Tarun Kapoor also worked as the Secretary or Principal Secretary to Public Works, Forest and Environment, Excise and Taxation, Food and Supplies Departments.
- Reportedly, amid the COVID-19 pandemic in India, Tarun Kapoor worked relentlessly to design and implement the free LPG cylinders-to-households scheme and became popular as “Modi’s man.” The Print According to a senior official of the ministry, Tarun Kapoor is close to Prime Minister Narendra Modi in various national-level projects. He said,
Kapoor has been close to the PM as a low-profile and old-school officer, whose notes and ideas never go wrong. He also worked on another of the PM’s pet projects — development of city gas distribution networks under the Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB) Act, 2006.”
- On 2 May 2022, an official order was issued by the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, which stated,
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of Kapoor as Adviser to the Prime Minister in the Prime Minister’s Office. His rank and scale will be that of a Secretary to the Government of India and his appointment will be initially for a period of two years from the date of assuming office.”
- Tarun Kapoor often shares his pictures on various social media platforms. He remains very active on Facebook.