|Famous For||Being the 9th Chief Minister of Uttarakhand|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 178 cm
in meters– 1.78 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 10”
|Hair Colour||Salt and pepper|
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
|Political Journey||• He was a member of the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Council from 1997 to 2002.
• He was the Education Minister of Uttarakhand from 2000 to 2002.
• In 2007, he was appointed as the state general secretary of BJP (Uttarakhand).
• He was the MLA from Chaubattakhal constituency of Uttarakhand from 2012 to 2017.
• In 2013, he was appointed as the state president of BJP (Uttarakhand) and remained in the position till 2015.
• In 2017, he became BJP’s National Secretary.
• In 2019, he was elected as a Member of Parliament (Lok Sabha) from the Garhwal constituency.
• In March 2021, after the 8th Chief Minister of Uttarakhand, Trivendra Singh Rawat, resigned from the CM’s post, Tirath Singh Rawat was appointed as the Chief Minister of Uttarakhand.
• On 2 July 2021, he resigned as the Chief Minister of Uttarakhand.
|Date of Birth||9 April 1964 (Thursday)|
|Age (as of 2020)||56 years Years|
|Birthplace||Village Sinro, Pauri Garhwal district, Uttar Pradesh (now Uttarakhand, India)|
|Hometown||Village Sinro, Pauri Garhwal, Uttarakhand|
|College/University||Birla Campus Srinagar, Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University, Uttarakhand (1992)|
Tirath Singh Rawat’s official website
|• Master’s in Sociology
• Diploma in Journalism
|Religion||Hinduism Tirath Singh Rawat’s official website|
|Controversies||• In March 2021, a few days after taking charge as the Chief Minister of Uttarakhand, Tirath Singh made a controversial remark against the practice of women wearing “ripped jeans.” He made the alleged misogynist comment in his speech at a workshop organised by the Uttarakhand State Commission for Protection of Child Rights in Dehradun. Recalling an anecdote, Tirath stated that he was stunned upon seeing a woman, who runs an NGO, wearing a pair of ripped jeans and was worried about the precedent she was setting for society. Later, he issued an apology saying that he is apologetic if his statement hurt someone. However, he stood by his statement and said that wearing ripped jeans is ethically wrong. India Today
• A few days after sparking controversy with his statements on women wearing ripped jeans, Tirath Singh triggered another controversy by saying that people should have given birth to more children if they wanted extra ration. The Indian Express He said,
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||9 December 1998
Daughter– Lokanksha Rawat
|Parents||Father– Kalam Singh Rawat
Mother– Gaura Devi
|Salary (approx.)||Rs. 90,000 (as the CM of Uttarakhand) Bare Acts Live|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 1.15 crore (as per the election affidavit submitted ahead of 2019 Lok Sabha elections) My Neta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Tirath Singh Rawat
- Tirath Singh Rawat is an Indian politician and the Chief Minister of Uttarakhand.
- Tirath Singh Rawat’s career in politics started during his college days when he joined the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad, the student’s wing of the Hindu nationalist organisation Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).
- He served the RSS as a pracharak (promoter) of the organisation from 1983 to 1988.
- He stayed in jail for two months during the Ram Temple movement in the early 90s.
- He played an active role in the Uttarakhand formation movement. During this time, he participated in several rallies and was one of the key members of the agitation.
- Like most of the BJP leaders, Tirath climbed the RSS ladder to enter the Bharatiya Janata Party.
- When Uttarakhand state was formed after getting separated from Uttar Pradesh in 2000, Tirath was appointed as the first education minister of the newly formed state.
- He was a low profile BJP leader and was not much known to many outside his constituency prior to his appointment as the 9th CM of Uttarakhand.