|Profession(s)||Comedian, YouTuber, Comedy-Writer|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 163 cm
in meters– 1.63 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 4”
|Debut||TV: TLC’s Queens of Comedy (2017)|
|Achievements||• Urooj was the winner of FemaPalooza, in April 2017 at Mumbai.
• Urooj was among the top three contestants on the TLC’s show ‘Queens of Comedy’
• Urooj won several stand-up competitions in Mumbai.
|Date of Birth||24 August 1995 (Thursday)|
|Age (as in 2020)||25 Years|
|School||• Delhi Public School, Navi Mumbai
• Ryan International School, Mumbai
|College/University||Jai Hind College, Mumbai, India
|Educational Qualification||Graduation in Psychology. Mid-Day|
|Religion||Urooj Ashfaq claims herself to be an atheist. opindia|
|Food Habit||Non-Vegetarian Mid-Day|
|Controversies||• Urooj Ashfaq was a part of the Anti-CAA rally at the historic August Kranti Maidan, Mumbai, where a massive protest against the Citizenship Act was held. The Citizenship (Amendment) Act has been widely criticised as discriminating on the basis of religion, particularly for excluding Muslims. Urooj was slammed by her fans and followers for being uneducated and not understanding the amendment properly.
• On March 19, 2018, Urooj Ashfaq tweeted that beef be cooked in a ‘Yagnya’ that was being planned in Madhya Pradesh. Her tweet recieved a lot of criticism for being insensitive to Hinduism.
Not only did she refused to apologise, but also had the audacity to say that she would do it more often.
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father– Name Not Known
Mother– Rubina Ashfaq
|Book||‘India After Gandhi’ by Ramachandra Guha|
|Shows||Big Mouth (An American series)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Urooj performing on stage
- Does Urooj Ashfaq drink alcohol?: Yes
- Urooj Ashfaq is a prominent face among the new generation of comics. She has also worked as a comedy writer for shows and series like All India Bakchod (AIB) and Son of Abish. Also she an active YouTuber.
- Ashfaq grew up in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, and moved to Mumbai at the age of 12.
- After completing her graduation in psychology, Urooj applied to different colleges for pursuing her masters but wasn’t admitted by any of them. So, to optimise her gap year, she went on to try stand-up, and ever since then, she has never looked back.
- Though she is an amazing writer, Urooj’s forte is stand-up comedy. She speaks about all kinds of weird topics, such as cannibalism, burquas, tattoos, psychopaths, waxing etc. In an interview, she said,
My brand of comedy is absurd and dark, a lot of which you will hear at the gig.”
- Urooj was a born comic. She had once said that she was the joker of the class. Her jokes and extrovert behaviour gained her a lot of friends wherever she went.
I’ve always been the class clown. It’s just my way of making friends. I make a joke, diffuse any tension and make friends”
- Urooj Ashfaq has also worked with Abish Mathew for his talk show, Son of Abish in 2014.
- Urooj did a two-month internship as a writer with All India Bakchod (AIB), in 2016.
- On May 18, 2017, Urooj starred in an AIB video, ‘If Apps Were People,’ which went viral and gained a lot of recognition. Malika Dua, Kaneez Surka, Sumukhi Suresh, along with a couple of other comics played the roles of different apps.
- Urooj won several stand-up competitions in Mumbai. Also, Urooj was the winner of FemaPalooza, which was held in April 2017 in Mumbai. FemaPalooza is an open mic competition where many upcoming as well as experienced female stand-up comedians participate.
- Urooj Ashfaq also played the character of ‘Tara’ in the Amazon Prime Video original series, ‘Pushpavalli, ‘ premiered on 15 December 2017.
- She was among the top 3 contestants on a TLC show, ‘Queens of Comedy,’ which gained her a lot of fame.
- In 2018, Urooj wrote for a web series that aired on Amazon Prime, ‘Die Trying’, starring Kenny Sebastian.
- In 2019, she co-hosted ‘Comicstaan’ (season-2), a stand-up comedy show, alongside Abish Mathew. Apart from hosting, she also mentored the contestants off-screen.
- Urooj has over 2 lakh subscribers on YouTube. She has toured across the country to perform her comedy gigs and is a well-known face among rising comedians.