Age: 73 Years
Hometown: Nellore, Andhra Pradesh
|Full Name||Muppavarapu Venkaiah Naidu|
|Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
|Political Journey||• When in college, he became active in politics with ABVP, the student wing of BJP.
• He played a prominent role in the Jai Andhra Movement of 1972.
• Naidu became the convenor of anti-corruption Jayaprakash Narayan Chhatra Sangharsh Samiti of Andhra Pradesh in 1974.
• In 1978, he was elected as an MLA from Udayagiri constituency in Nellore in Andhra Pradesh assembly.
• He was again elected as an MLA from the same constituency in 1983.
• From 1996 to 2000, he served as a BJP spokesperson.
• In 1998, he was elected as a Member of Rajya Sabha from Karnataka.
• He became the Union Cabinet Minister of Rural Development in 1999.
• Naidu took over as the National President of BJP in January 2004. He then stepped down from the post after NDA had lost in the 2004 general elections.
• He has been serving as National Vice President of BJP since April 2005.
• In May 2014, he was named as the Union Minister for Urban Development and Parliamentary Affairs.
• He was elected a Rajya Sabha MP after BJP nominated him from Rajasthan in May 2016.
• After being nominated as the Vice- Presidential candidate of India by the NDA in mid-July 2017, he quit as the Union Minister to contest the elections.
• On 11 August 2017, he assumed the office of the Vice President of India.
• On 10 August 2022, he retired as the Vice President of India.
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 175 cm
in meters- 1.75 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 9”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 75 kg
in Pounds- 165 lbs
|Date of Birth||1 July 1949|
|Age (as of 2022)||73 Years|
|Birthplace||Chavatapalem, Nellore, Madras Province|
|Hometown||Chavatapalem, Nellore, Madras Province|
|School||V. R. High School, Nellore|
|College/University||V. R. College, Nellore
Law College, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam
|Educational Qualifications||Bachelor’s degree in Politics and Diplomatic Studies
L.L.B. with specialization in International Law
|Debut||He joined ABVP, the student wing of Bhartiya Janata Party, while in college and was elected as the president of students union of colleges affiliated to Andhra University.|
|Family||Father– Late Rangaiah Naidu
Mother– Late Ramanamma
|Address||30, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Road, New Delhi|
|Favourite Politician||Atal Bihari Vajpayee|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife||Usha (m.1971- present)
|Children||Son– Harshvardhan Naidu
Daughter– Deepa Venkat
|Salary (as Vice-President of India)||Rs. 4 lakh/month + Other allowances|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 11 crore (as in 2016)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Venkaiah Naidu (BJP)
- Though he does not belong to a Hindi-speaking state, Naidu, to champion the cause of farmers, and to be a brilliant orator, mastered the language and became a prominent political figure of the party.
- Naidu was one of the protestors to be imprisoned during the Emergency period that was imposed by former Indian Prime Minster Indira Gandhi.
- In 2002, he succeeded Jana Krishnamurthy as the national president of Bhartiya Janata Party and kept holding the chair for three consecutive terms.
- After BJP led National Democratic Alliance got a thumping majority in 2014 Lok Sabha elections, he was given the portfolios of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation, and Information and Broadcasting Ministry.