Wife: Nilima Sinha
Age: 84 Years
|Real Name||Yashwant Sinha|
|Profession(s)||Civil Servant & Politician|
|Service||Indian Administrative Service (IAS)|
|Political Party||• Janata Party/Janata Dal (1984-1991)
• Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) (quit on 21 April 2018)
• All India Trinamool Congress (TMC) (joined on 13 March 2021; resigned in June 2022)
|Political Journey||1984: Joined Janata Dal as an active member.
1986: Became All-India General secretary of Janata Dal.
1988: Elected to Rajya Sabha.
November 1990 to June 1991: Served as the Minister of Finance in Chandra Shekhar’s Cabinet.
1996: Became the National Spokesperson of the Bharatiya Janata Party.
1998: Became the Union Finance Minister in Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s Cabinet.
2002: On 1st of July, appointed as Minister for External Affairs in Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s Cabinet.
2004: Lost the Lok Sabha election from the Hazaribagh Constituency.
2005: Again became a Member of Rajya Sabha.
2009: On 13 June, resigned from the post of vice-president of BJP.
2018: He quit the BJP.
2021: On 13 March, he joined the All India Trinamool Congress (TMC)
2022: In June, he resigned from the All India Trinamool Congress (TMC) ahead of the presidential election. NDTV On 21 June, Congress leader Jairam Ramesh announced the name of Yashwant Sinha as the common candidate for presidential election. The Hindu
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 173 cm
in meters– 1.73 m
in feet inches– 5’ 8”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 75 kg
in pounds– 165 lbs
|Date of Birth||6 November 1937|
|Age (as of 2021)||84 Years|
|Birthplace||Asthawan, Nalanda, British India (now in Bihar), India|
|Hometown||Patna, Bihar, India|
|Educational Qualification||A Master’s Degree in Political Science from the Patna University in 1958|
|Debut||In 1984, when he joined Janata Dal as an active member|
|Address||76 A Village Hupad P.O.- Thana-Muffassil, Dist – Hazaribagh, Jharkhand|
|Hobbies||Gardening, Blogging, Reading Newspapers, Writing, Travelling|
|Controversies||• In November 2013, Pappu Yadav, in his autobiography- Drohkaal ka Pathik, alleged that 3 MPs of his Indian Federal Democratic Party got money from Sinha (the then Finance Minister), to join the NDA in 2001.
• Sinha was also criticized for his alleged involvement in the UTI Scam.
• On 4 April 2017, he was arrested by the Hazaribagh police for pelting stones at the police. Singa was holding a religious procession, and when the police stopped them, Sinha and his supporters started pelting stones at the police leading to their arrest.
• On 27 September 2017, he again invited a controversy by making a statement against the Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley. He said, “I shall be failing in my national duty if I did not speak up even now against the mess the finance minister has made of the economy.”
• Sinha has also been criticized for promoting nepotism by nominating his son Jayant Sinha as a successor to contest from Hazaribagh.
|Favourite Politician||Atal Bihari Vajpayee|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife/Spouse||Nilima Sinha (Author)
|Children||Sons– Jayant Sinha (Politician),
Sumant Sinha (Businessman)
Daughter– Sharmila (Writer)
|Salary (as a Member of Parliament)||50000 INR /month|
|Net Worth||3 Crore INRs (as in 2014)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Yashwant Sinha
- Does Yashwant Sinha smoke?: Not Known
- Does Yashwant Sinha drink alcohol?: Not Known
- He was born in a Kayastha family in Patna.
- After receiving his Master’s Degree in Political Science in 1958, Sinha taught at the Patna University till 1960.
- In 1960, he joined the Indian Administrative Service (IAS) and spent over 24 years serving in different capacities during his service tenure.
- In 1984, he resigned from the Indian Administrative Service (IAS) and joined active politics as a member of the Janata Party.
- During his tenure as the Union Finance Minister, Sinha was widely credited for pushing through many major reform measures, which put the Indian economy on a firm growth trajectory.
- He is also known for being the 1st Finance Minister to break the 53-year-old tradition of presenting the Union Budget of India at 5 pm local time, a practice held over from the British rule in India.
- Sinha has compiled the accounts of his years as Finance Minister in the form of a book titled- Confessions of a Swadeshi Reformer.